Would be interesting to hear those Bee Palmer recordings

by Linda

The only recordings I have heard of Bee Palmer are those tests that were found of the Whiteman Presents Columbia session from 1929 of Singin' The Blues and Don't Leave Me Daddy. It would interesting to hear those other Bee Palmer recordings you mentioned were discovered in that trunk. You mentioned a private collector now has them. Am surprised they have never come out on lp or a cd considering how important Bee Palmer is in jazz history. Many collectors who have heard the Columbia sides don't think much of her voice. Maybe if that Body and Soul and I've Got A Right To Sing The Blues could be heard it would allow for a reevaluation of her singing.

John since you are in NY ( you mentioned Staten Island in your post) do you know anything about a collector who found some folders in a junk shop that had some tech sheets pertaining to old radio shows at NBC station WJZ including the Camel Pleasure Hour broadcasts? Would have been in the early 70's too that the discovery was made. Unfortunately no song listings or musicians listed but only technical information on the show like types of microphones and equipment used for the broadcasts.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009, 10:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses