the scat singer on I Must Have That Man

by vince giordano

I was lucky to study and hang with Bill Challis and Chauncey Morehouse back in the late 60s. I would bring over records and tapes and ask them to indentify certain soloists, arrangers and so on.
I brought over the T.O.M lp of Joe Venuti New Yorkers and asked Chauncey if that was him on the vocal scat of I Must Have That Man. He laughed and said the only vocal he did was on a Red Nichols date: Harlem Twist [Chauncey wrote it by the way].
He did remember the Venuti date, too!. He remembered that Venuti had either forgotten to hire a vocalist or the vocalist was a "no show". So, when it came time for the vocal, Joe scatted. The engineer or producer came out of the booth and said something like.."I don't think that's good enough for the record" and typical Venuti [with fingers crossed] said that he did this in the show "Rain or Shine" and it was a hit. The other guys in the band went along with this story and convinced the guy with loud enthusiasm. The "vocal" stayed!

Also: If you listen to the end of the scat..theres a distant cymbal choke 1 or 2 beats after the vocal finishesits Venuti on the vocal.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009, 8:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses