I like your theory, Glenda.

by Albert Haim

As  a matter of fact, I was formulating in my mind how to best present it. 

The reporter indeed committed plagiarism, a serious breach of ethics. The reporter knew that Bix was going to read the interview once it was published. Would the reporter have brought in without mentioning it to Bix all the text he plagiarized? I believe it is more likely that he brought with him Niles's interview when he went to see Bix, and perhaps asked Bix for his opinion. Perhaps, as you suggest, Bix agreed with what Niles had told Louise Garwood in his own interview.

Humor (perhaps it is better to use expressions such as fooling around and pranks) is something that was common among jazz musicians. They did on the stage and outside the stage. Look at the Ramblers in Ahola's home made movies. Consider all the crazy things that Venuti did. I don't remember the details now, but wasn't Bix described in Evans and Evans as doing some funny things on stage? I would not be surprised, as I wrote above, if the reporter actually brought along Niles's interview, or at least he may have asked Bix about his opinion about humor in jazz by quoting Niles. Suppose Bix agreed with what Niles had said, then the reporter, as you suugest,  would feel "free" to "quote" from Niles's article without giving a citation. 

Speculation, but plausible.

Albert

This message has been edited by ahaim on Feb 7, 2010 9:59 AM

Posted on Feb 7, 2010, 9:58 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home