When Was Victor Young Born?

by Albert Haim

Bobbie Fromberg, Victor Young's niece, posted in the thread where we discussed Star Dust.

I looked up Victor Young in the internet and found a discrepancy regarding the year he was born. Wikipedia, the Songwriters Hall of Fame website, IBDB and FindAGrave.com give 1900. IMDB and the Victor Young website (http://victoryoung.czechian.net/) give 1899. They all agree about the day and month, Aug 8, but not the year. So I decided to look him up. Here are my findings.

1900 US Census - Chicago IL - William Young, born Dec 1869 in Russia, profession tailor. Lives with wife (name illegible), born 1869 in Russia and son Abe V., born Aug 1899 in Illinois.

Birth Certificate - Cook County IL. Name: Victor Young; birth date Aug 8, 1899; birth place Chicago, Cook, IL

1930 Census - Chicago IL = Victor Young, age 29, born in IL of Polish parents, profession musician with MGM radio. Lives with wife Rita, age 28, born in Russia of Polish parents. Sister Helen, age 28, born in Illinois, profession music teacher conservatory. Father William, age 61, born in Poland.

I think 1899 is the correct year. Bobby, do you agree?

Albert

Forum Owner

Posted on Feb 6, 2012, 11:56 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast