A PS to the posting ....

by Albert Haim

....http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1387937485/A+review+of+the+re-release+of+Clementine-My+Pretty+Girl.

From the Daily Princetonian, Volume 61, Number 53, 14 April 1936.

To the Victor company our sincerest congratulations for a truly progressive and commendable move—their reissuing of one of the masterpieces played by Jean Goldkeltes' immortal group, "Clementine," and "My Pretty Girl" (25283). This outfit, which is rated with Ben Pollack's 1928 band and Benny Goodman's present crew as one of the three greatest large white bands the world has ever known, shows up best in "Clementine" —a piece which although recorded over eight years ago is comparable in some ways to the foremost efforts of today's better swing bands. Top honors go of course to "Bix" Beiderbecke, whose celestial cornet playing has made him recognized as the greatest artist jazz has produced—truly a genius if there ever lived one. Listen carefully to his gorgeous tone, the complete ease and effortlessness of his playing, and the lyric grace of his matchless phrasing, all combined as only Bix could do it. Also noteworthy on the record is the swinging sax chorus preceding Bix, while the other side features some powerful plunking on the vast violin of Steve Brown, and the facile reed work of Jimmy Dorsey.

I love the phrase "celestial cornet playing."

Unfortunately, a couple of erors. One understandable since the record label of the reissue (see previous post) lists (incorrectly) Jimmy Dorsey. The other puzzling, Steve Brown on violin? The record lable lists Venuti on violin and Brown as part of the rhythm section. Maybe a string bass is a "vast violin." happy.gif

Albert

Posted on Mar 7, 2017, 4:31 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast