Re: Dorksieland

by Jon Pytko

I would be interested in seeing/hearing whatever was played by Red Nichols and some of his original Five Pennies (Jimmy Dorsey, Miff Mole, Arthur Schutt) + the Teagarden brothers. While I wouldn't expect the avant-garde music that was being recorded in 1926-27, I do wonder how/what they were playing on that broadcast from October 1956? Would it sound similar to the OM5 album alluded to?

I'm not going to comment extensively upon Mr. Dorsey's "Dorseyland" Band of the 1949-52 period. I know and understand that some hold it in disdain, while others (perhaps myself) would be more forgiving. There really were some great moments on several Café Rouge broadcasts that I have, if not on the Columbias waxed during that time period.

Sadly, that 1956 episode is not one that I recall AMC running back in the late 1980's/early 1990's. A 16mm copy ran on eBay several years ago, but I wasn't going to purchase a projector just for that one item. I wish that I had gone back to my old high school when such technology was being "junked," as there were enough of them in storage!

Posted on Apr 8, 2017, 9:52 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast