Mythology and Idolatry

by Nick Dellow

In my other post, further down in this string (in response to Glenda) I attempted to address the potential musical lineage between Bix and modern pop music/singers, but actually, in order put Brendan's Wolfe's remarks into some sort of context I think that one needs to hear what he said directly after the comment given in your post:-

"I feel you can't really understand Rock 'n' Roll and the myth of Rock 'n' Roll without knowing that on some level it came from Bix Beiderbecke, and the sort of live fast, die young template has really stayed in American culture."

It seems to me that he is making a connection here between how Bix is often viewed in a romanticised way as an idolised figure who died all too young (as a result of alcoholism) and Rock & Roll mythology whereby rock singers and musicians who die young (as a result of alcoholism or overdosing on drugs) are revered in the same way.

P.S. At the risk of sounding pedantic, one simply can't "see through" a worn out 78 record, no matter how many times it has been played!

Posted on Apr 12, 2017, 3:23 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Quantcast