From the Bix facebook page.

by Albert Haim

The amended record for Leon Beiderbecke's birth. Bix misread as Birt. The following is excruciatingly detailed (my approach to research from my experience of 50 years doing chemistry research)
I am working on my Bix chronology with images and music. I am researching Leon Beiderbecke's middle name. [What, again!! Oh, no!] A light blew brightly in my brain as I was cleaning up the original documentation.
Two Family Search documents.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XVF3-3LG
One reads Leon Bi... The other (next posting) reads Leon Birt. Both give as reference
Reference ID Bk 6-1 item 2 p 6-24
Note that "Volunteers extracted the birth, baptism, and christening details in this index from microfilmed copies of church, civil, family, and other records of Iowa births."
In the second posting below, I give the copy made by the Davenport Public Library of the microfilm designated as 6-24. Two important observations. The record was amended to include Bix as a middle name (this was already pointed out by the late Rich Johnson) on Nov 19, 1962. (This date is highly significant, as I demonstrate in my Bix Chronology). The other is that the addition of the middle name is read by a volunteer as Bi... and by another as Birt. Note in the image below that a volunteer could easily misread Birt instead of Bix. (My wife reads it as Bisk), Note that the M from M(ale) merges with the x of Bix, thus the reader is easily confused!
Leon Bi... Beiderbecke, "Iowa Births and Christenings, 1830-1950"
Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
FAMILYSEARCH.ORG
LikeCommentShare
1 Marilene McCandless
Comments
Albert Haim
Albert Haimhttps://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XVFS-8FS
Leon Birt Beiderbecke, "Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935"
Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
FAMILYSEARCH.ORG
Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 2 hrs
Manage
Albert Haim
Albert Haim
No automatic alt text available.

Posted on Jul 31, 2017, 1:57 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Quantcast