“This humiliating incident [the arrest] will leave deep scars ....

by Albert Haim

.... in a young man already destabilized by school failure. The relationships with his family will be modified in an irreversible manner. The young prodigy, the exceptional child that his parents showed proudly, felt a sense of abandonment and shame: he was in his own eyes a failure, and he thought he was suspected of being a pervert. How could his mother still love him, when he no longer liked himself?”

The above is my translation from the French text.

Jean Pierre Lion speculates as to what went on inside Bix’s mind, what he thought!

"destabilized by school failure." Where is the evidence that Bix was "destabilized by school failure." Jean Pierre goes off into the realm of fiction, in my opinion, when he asserts that, because of the incident, Bix “no longer liked himself.” Speculation may be acceptable when it is based on some evidence, but inventing what goes on inside Bix’s mind is, in my opinion, egregious. Jean Pierre asks “how could his mother love him?” In asking that question he throws out the considerable body of evidence that demonstrates that Agatha loved Bix throughout his life.

This is the worst section of Lion's book. Other parts are fine.

Albert

Posted on Dec 2, 2017, 5:52 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast