Spiegle's Willcox First recording.

by Albert Haim

From the defunct redhotjaz.com site.

The Collegians.
by Dennis Pereyra
Prior to his stint with the great Jean Goldkette band, slide trombonist Speigle Willcox was with the Al Deisseroth Orchestra in 1920, and then with Tige Jewitt in 1922. He joined a band called the Big Four, later that year. The Big Four was actually an octet and they were based in Ithaca, New York. Paul Whiteman discovered the band in 1922, and changed the name of the group to The Collegians. He brought the group to New York City for gigs and recording dates. Speigle remained with the Collegians until early 1925 and then joined the Jean Goldkette Orchestra in October 1925. Victor issued three sides by The Collegians. Speigel recalled that, "When we made those three Victor records, Paul Whiteman was nowhere to be seen, just The Collegians. There we were - this was prior to microphones - blowing into the big horn, with the same producer, Eddie King, as we recorded with later with the Goldkette Orchestra in that very same room in New York.

Frhttp://bixbeiderbecke.com/Willcox/Complete.html

The Collegians (Bob Causer’s Big Four)

Spiegle Willcox – tb, Roy Johnston – tp, Stub Washburn – as, Freddie Ballinger –ts, Red Ewald – vn, Jimmy Lynch – p, Charlie Dean – bj, Bob Causer – d.

March 23, 1923, New York

27671-1-2-3-4-5 Little Rover (Don’t Forget to Come

Back Home) Vic (rejected)

27672-3 That Red-Headed Gal Vic 19049. HMV B-1664

(Split with Whitey Kaufman’s Original Pennsylvania Serenaders, You Tell Her I Stutter)
March 30, 1923, New York

27671-6-7-8-9-10 Little Rover (Don’t Forget to Come

Back Home) Vic (rejected)

28051-1-2-3 Mad (‘Cause You Treat me this

Way) Vic (rejected)

June 5, 1923

28051-2 I Cried for You Vic 19093

(Split with The Great White Way Orch, Barney Google)

28052-2 Papa, Better Watch Your Step Vic 19105

(Split with Tennessee Ten, Long Lost Mama)

This group was managed and worked under the name of Paul Whiteman’s Collegians. Whiteman’s name does not appear on the labels.

Two observations.
- Roy Johnston, Merle Johnston's brother later was a member of the California Ramblers
- The record label(from Canada) in the youtube video shows both Victor and HMV. The first few notes of the main theme remind me of "Let's Misbehave."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsKYIQgbu8

Another interesting Canadian HMV/Victor record label.

[linked image]

Albert
""

This message has been edited by ahaim on Dec 17, 2017 7:56 AM

Posted on Dec 17, 2017, 7:52 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast