Mr. Polio Takes a Solo

by Mark Gabrish Conlan

I'd like to thank you again for posting a link to this marvelous record. It led me to order the complete CD on which it appears, "Danny Polo: The Complete Sets," though I had to buy it as a download from iTunes because the disc is out of print and the only copy on Amazon sold for $40. Because that didn't give me the original documentation, I had to search for personnel and recording dates online and discovered that the Embassy Rhythm Eight sides were actually cut in February 1935, not 1933 as is stated on the cover.

I love the entire album; the overall feel seems to me similar to the great records Sidney Bechet was making in the U.S. at the same time with "Noble Sissle's Swingsters" (another band-within-a-band). I like Polo's tenor on "Mozeltov" better every time I hear it and I especially like the Paris sides for Polo, Alix Combelle's great tenor and Oscar Aleman playing some of the most Django-ish solos of his career.

One hilarious typo on the iTunes download: "Mr. Polo Takes a Solo" (actually a version of the song "Squeeze Me") is labeled "Mr. Poiio Takes a Solo"!

Posted on Jan 11, 2018, 10:20 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Quantcast