Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Interesting!
    • Frank van Nus
      Posted Jul 16, 2004 6:08 AM

That looks good, Norman! Samuel Adler's "Study Of Orchestration" tells me that the clarinet is the only wind instrument able to play softly enough to produce true "subtone". I have a feeling that on the trumpet there are some other principles at work (perhaps to do with the player's two lips vibrating?) which make subtone playing, shall we say, less inviting.

I've had discussions in the past with classically trained clarinet players who told me, placing the tongue against the reed can't have been part of the trick as it would interfere with the tone, and a shorter barrel would not have been necessary. Perhaps this explanation was a Hazlett prank, or a ruse to throw rivals off scent...

About Hazlett and the mike: Dutch jazz historian Herman Openneer corresponded with many Whiteman musicians, and Bill Rank told him that Hazlett's mike technique was unrivalled; while playing, he constantly moved his clarinet (i.e. the fingerholes) up and down in front of the mike to get an evenness of sound. Quite a trick!

Frank
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.