Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Keith Michell
    • Laura Demilio
      Posted Jul 8, 2009 12:28 PM

I think that man is brilliant. He's the closest any actor's ever come to what history scholars tell us of King Henry VIII - tall, glamorous as a youth until he morphed into the ungainly mountain of vituperative foul-temper and cruelty (lots of padding in Michell's costumes as the Henry character aged); his voice stridently high-pitched when he yelled at people. Yet somehow he made that tyrannical monarch sympathetic, humorous without clownishness, shrewdly intelligent as a ruler, and regally aware of his own importance in changing the course of events in the world at the time, more supremely confident than arrogant.

No other movie actor ever matched up - not Richard Burton in Anne of the Thousand Days, not overwrought whatshisname in A Man for All Seasons. I actually gave the latest Henry VIII movie-on-video away to my nephew because I couldn't stand the guy with the lower-class East-End accent portraying the King as a thuggish gangster.

Gee, and Bix loathed English history and thought it was boring. If only he'd gotten a load of the filmed and videotaped dramas available to us now. . .

Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.