Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Wouldn't you know it?

• Posted Feb 12, 2010 8:20 AM

I'm not convinced "chose" is the right word there, John, because it presumes that maybe I could have been a long snapper. My career in the defensive backfield ended ignominiously in sixth grade. Still, no reason why Wikipedia should have missed mentioning Alex Karras, who helped lead the Hawkeyes to their first ever Rose Bowl in 1956. Or, if football's not your thing, why not mention Al Jarreau, the great jazz singer who earned a master's degree at Iowa?

As for the Pulitzers, they are all duly accounted for here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Writers'_Workshop#Pulitzer_Prizes_of_Writers.27_Workshop_Graduates_and_Faculty

And so long as we're on the subject, it seems worth mentioning that Susan Glaspell won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1931. She was a Davenport native, of course, and had lived in the city into her adulthood before entering into a semi-scandalous marriage and moving to New York. She, like her literary compatriot Floyd Dell -- author of the best-selling novel Moon-Calf from 1920, found Davenport mostly to be simpatico with their literary, social, and political pretensions and eccentricities. And they even worked for the local newspaper!

It's worth thinking about as some rue the supposed unsophistication and jazz-ignorance on the part of The Interview's reporter. Assuming such a description were true, I'm not at all convinced it's an accurate representation of Davenport at that time.
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.