Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Again, you seemed to have ....

• Posted Mar 31, 2010 1:23 PM

That's fine, Albert. My fault. I wonder why Sandke follows Appel's reference to "cultural historians" with quotations from people who are behaving like critics, not like cultural historians. But at this point, I might be nitpicking, and I don't mean to. Still, you haven't answered my questions about Ratliff and Crouch. And I love Appel's book, and the thing about that quote of his is that he doesn't say that if you don't like Bix, you're driven by a racist agenda; he says if you don't like Bix because he exploits "black sources," then you're driven primarily by "racial politics."

But the admittedly very short snippet of Sandke's book, which serves as the occasion for your gnashing of teeth on the subject of "agendas," does not provide any context for why Crouch and Ratliff don't like Bix (or at least like him as much as we do). And quite independent of what you posted, I think that's a problem. And I thought that because you have the book, you might be willing to provide some of that context -- either from your own perspective or from Sandke's.
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.