Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • A curiosity
    • John Rowland
      Posted Aug 6, 2010 8:08 AM

There have been times when this forum has discussed plagiarism and lazy journalism. I am struck by the similarity between the lines from the March 24, 1924 article in the "The Evening Courier and Reporter" of Waterloo, Iowa found in Albert's post titled "Evidence that Louis Armstrong was in Davenport in early March 1924" and the line in the February 26, 1924 "Davenport Democrat and Leader" from his "Was Louis with King Oliver at the Coliseum (Col Ballroom) in Davenport in early 1924?" post.

The March 4 article contains the line "The development of freak music out of a single cornet has brought many musicians to King Oliver's studio in Chicago and his imitators are legion."

The February 26 article says "It would be interesting to find during late hours musicians who would spend two or three hours study to hear King Oliver produce freak music out of his simple cornet."

The similarities are lines "...freak music out of.." and "single" or "simple cornet."

I can't claim any specialized knowledge of King Oliver. Was this a common way to describe him and/or his music? Perhaps freak music from a single/simple cornet was not an uncommon saying back then. Perhaps it was out of KOCJB's own press package.

I found it curious and was wondering if anybody out there had an opinion or information on the matter.

Thanks,
      John
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.