Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Early Life, 1919-1921.

• Posted Oct 5, 2010 2:43 PM

From the Bix article in Wikipedia.

Beiderbecke attended Davenport High School from 1919 to 1921. During this time, he sat in and played professionally with various bands, including those of Wilbur Hatch, Floyd Bean, and Carlisle Evans.[20]

Footnote 20 is a reference to the Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz by Leonard Feather and Ira Gitler. From the Encyclopedia,

He attended HS in Davenport 1919-1921. Dur. this time, he sat in and pl. prof. w. various bands, incl. those of Wilbur Harch, Floyd Bean, and Carlisle Evans.

It will be seen that the second sentences in the two accounts are identical. I am surprised that it is not enclosed with quotation marks in the Wikipedia article.

I may have missed this, but I don't remember having seen references to Bix playing with Wilbur Hatch and Floyd Bean in Bix biographies. In fact, these names are not found in Sudhalter and Evans and Evans and Evans. Carlisle Evans is mentioned in Bix biographies, but I don't believe that Bix played professionally with Carlisle's band. Rich Johnson in "Bix: The Davenport Album" has several pages devoted to Carlisle Evans. He writes, "As Wayne Rohlf recalls it , Bix grabbed any opportunity that came along to play with local musicans. "He used to sit with Carlisle Evans, Tony Catalano, Bill GreerĀ  and Doc Wrixon anytine they would have him."

Does anyone know if Bix ever played or sat with Wilbur Hatch and/or Floyd Bean?

Albert

Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.