Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • One member tootled merrily
    • Nick Dellow
      Posted Oct 8, 2011 5:38 AM

No playlist I'm sorry to say, but I can at least provide this account of the ODJB's performance in "Joy Bells" at the Hippodrome, penned by Cora Lawrence for "Town Topics" of April 12th, 1919:-

"....On the occasion of their performance they gave us a demonstration of undiluted Jazz, and it must be admitted, despite all that has been thought and said to the contrary, there was a certain charm in the mournful refrains, dramatically broken by cheery jingles and a miscellany of noises such as one generally hears "off." At one moment the whole orchestra would down tools while one member tootled merrily or eerily on his own account, and then they would resume again, always ready to give a fair hearing to any other individual player who suddenly developed a "stunt." Everybody was perfectly happy, not excluding the audience who appreciated a novelty not inartistic."

Could this be the earliest description of a jazz solo being performed live?

Nick
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.