Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Malneck/From Monday On
    • Alan Matheson
      Posted Jun 17, 2012 7:12 PM

I agree with everything you say about this, Albert. I had the pleasure of restoring the arrangement for a live performance that I conducted for CBC Radio here in Vancouver back in 1995-96. Because Williams College had no original score for "From Monday On", I had to transcribe what was missing (see my previous post) and recopy all the parts for our Whiteman tribute orchestra. Our vocalist was a veteran Vancouver musician (Lance Harrison) who is (so far) the only person I've met who heard Bing with Gus Arnheim via the radio back in the 1930-31 period. It was an enormous thrill to conduct and play on a bunch of these "golden era" (c.1927-30) arrangements written for the Whiteman band-including some unrecorded items from the "Old Gold" radio period that were designed for Bix and Bing.
      Matty Malneck, of course, wrote the great arrangement of "Mary" for Bix and Bing. It also features an excellent cornet soli that still sounds great to this day-and beyond.
      Thanks again, Albert, for keeping this wonderful site going!
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.