Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Bix and Manuel Salsamendi

• Posted Jul 20, 2012 6:26 AM

Here is a list of the first five recordings of In A Mist.

Bix Beiderbecke. Piano solo. Recorded in New York for OKeh Records on September 8, 1927.
      Red Norvo. Xylophon solo, 1933. Reissued in CD "Dance of the Octopus", HEP (IRE) 1044.
      Frankie Trumbauer. Arranged for orchestra (includes Charlie and Jack Teagarden, Roy Bargy, and Dick McDonough, among others). Recorded in 1934 and released as Brunswick 6997.
      Lilian Crawford. Piano solo. Recorded in 1934 in Richmond, Indiana and released as Champion 16817.
      Manuel Salsamendi. Piano solo. Recorded in 1935 on Argentinian Odeon.

The label of Salsamendi's recording thanks to the generosity of Rob.

[linked image]

Evidently, Salsamendi's recording was very early in the history of In A Mist waxings. See the complete (I believe) list in

http://ms.cc.sunysb.edu/~alhaim/recordingsinamist.htm#RecordingsofinAmist

Salsamendi was an  Uruguayan pianist, organist and educator, as well as an MD. [He taught piano to my nephew Leo Masliah]. I have been alerted by Mario that Salsamendi recorded Flashes in Nov-Dec 1952. This was one of several tracks on an LP (JRG 102) produced by the SODRE (Originally Servicio Oficial de Difusion Radio Electrica, now Servicio Oficial de Difusion Radiotelevision y Espectaculos). Here are the record labels of both sides of the record.

[linked image]

[linked image]

It will be seen that in addition to Flashes, there are three other tunes that Bix recorded, Thou Swell, Sugar and Make Believe (in Selections from Old Man River).

The record was just sold on ebay for $100.

Mario wrote a highly informative article about Salsamendi in his blog. (It is written in Spanish).

http://riverplatejazzfiles.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/incunable-de-musico-uruguayo-subastado.html

Albert

Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.