911 Memorials News and Commentary | 911 Memorials Around the World

Return to Index  

Freedom Center Architect: “Architects spend very little time connecting to the real world”

April 12 2005 at 11:33 AM
roger 

The Collegiate Times has an amazingly frank interview by Erin Zlomek with Architect Craig Dykers of Norway’s Snohetta who is designing the WTC Freedom Center.

Dykers began his presentation by asking students why they chose to study architecture. In response to his own question Dykers shared an overhead slide that read “ I make buildings for money. I make architecture for my ego. And, I make drawings to seduce the opposite sex.”
Dykers said the overhead slide was meant as a joke.

“Architects spend very little time connecting to the world around us,” Dykers said.

He encouraged students to take their work seriously but to not shut out the comedy and character of their surrounding environments.

For himself, Dykers said photographing people was a hobby that allowed him to focus on more than just his architecture
http://911memorials.org/archives/2005/04/12/freedom-center-architect-architect-spend-very-little-time-connecting-the-world/

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum