911 Memorials News and Commentary | 911 Memorials Around the World

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Giuliani Critical of Finalists in CNN Interview

December 23 2003 at 6:41 PM
roger 

Giuliani: Alerts needed for public safety network
Tuesday, December 23, 2003 Posted: 11:38 AM EST (1638 GMT)
CNN's Soledad O'Brien spoke Tuesday with former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani about the impact of alerts on Americans, his recent trip to Israel and a World Trade Center memorial.
O'BRIEN: Let's turn the corner and talk about the Ground Zero memorial. You have said publicly that you're not crazy about what you've seen so far. What don't you like? What would you like to see?

GIULIANI: What I would like to see is for the memorial to dominate. The most important thing about the design has to be the significance of the place. It's the place where the worst attack in American history took place. One of the bravest responses that people have ever had. It's a place people will want to be interested in 50 and 100 years from now the way they are [in] Gettysburg or the Vietnam [Veterans] Memorial.

O'BRIEN: So you just think it doesn't do enough?

GIULIANI: It doesn't capture it. It's really just more an attempt to replace office space. You can feel the office space dominating and not the significance of the place -- the library, the museum, the grand design that's going to capture this the way the Vietnam [Veterans] Memorial captured the Vietnam War in such a brilliant way. The idea that the Vietnam War, people who fought that war weren't given the honor they deserve. Now every name of every person lost was going to be there right in Washington like Thomas Jefferson's name is there.

So there was a significance to that that's missing here, and I think I know the reason -- because there's such an imperative to replace the office space. Well, the office space isn't going to count 50 years from now. Doing the memorial right will count.

O'BRIEN: Think it's going happen -- it will be done "the right way"?

GIULIANI: I think we've got to think about how future generations are [going to] think about us, not just how we feel today.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/23/cnna.giuliani/

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Giuliani Critical of Finalists in CNN Interview
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum