911 Memorials News and Commentary | 911 Memorials Around the World

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Battery Park City Dog Run to Be Named for Sirius - the Only K9 Killed on 911

July 14 2005 at 9:38 AM

Downtown Express reports the dog run at Kowsky Plaza in Battery Park City will be named after Sirius, the only police dog killed on 911.

On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, the Explosive Detector Team for the World Trade Center – consisting of Lim and Sirius – were in their South Tower basement office when the first plane struck the North Tower. Officer Lim put his 4-year-old partner in his kennel and headed off to the damaged tower to help

“I told him, ‘I think we’re in a lot of trouble right now,’” said Lim, who assumed he and Sirius had somehow failed to detect an explosive. “I said, ‘I’ll be back for you.’”

But before Lim could return, the events of the day unfolded, the South Tower collapsed followed by the North Tower, burying Lim on the fourth floor with six firefighters and an injured woman. The people were all safely rescued five hours later.

Lim did come back for Sirius eventually – on Jan. 22, 2002 when his remains were uncovered still in his kennel.

“I was very fortunate; so many people didn’t find anybody,” said Lim, adding that Sirius was treated with the same respect as all the other victims recovered. “They treated him like everybody else — bestowing the honors. I always appreciated that.”

At his memorial service the following April at Liberty State Park, 400 people attended including 100 K-9 teams from across the country.

Links:
Susan Stonebraker Sirius Page (source of painting above)
Port Authority Memorial Sirius Page
McKarthy Sirius Page
Lulu Sirius Page
http://911memorials.org/archives/2005/07/03/battery-park-city-dog-run-to-be-named-for-sirius-the-only-k9-killed-on-911/

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Battery Park City Dog Run to Be Named for Sirius - the Only K9 Killed on 911
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum