Return to Forum  

Fungus spores...

August 14 2011 at 11:07 AM
Loki Luv, MD°  (no login)

Response to Whoooo!! They must be hearty germs...........

`
Although whatever this is is definitely not the same "Late Blight" which struck a couple or 3 years back, my research into that garnered the info that fungi can produce what was termed "hardened" spores capable of surviving the Winter freeze. Can't recall the exact terminology, but I think this results from the "fungoid' equivalent of being polinated or fertilized, as opposed to those which are not. It's not that surprising - even if it IS that irritating. Plant bulbs survive over Winter, after all. Even the chives I have in pots grow back every year. (forgot to mention those !)

Below are a couple of pics of this year's operation - most of it, anyway. I also used 6 pots the size of a small bucket for the broccooli, and 10 6-inch x 2-foot "window box" style planters for the peppers - and spinach, which I also forgot to mention, and have already consumed the entire crop which grew before the plants "bolted" due to the heat.

From fore to background are green beans, radishes(almost too short to see), lettuce mix, brussels sprouts, then from left to right squash, one type of spuds, and cucumbers - the latter also run along the right edge to the back of the shot (except for some more squash, the vines of which look quite like the cukes, even including these weird little tendrils which keep trying to wrap around every other plant they encounter as the vines grow. might have to invest in or make some sort of trellises if I grow cukes next year). Tomatoes at the back of this shot - 9 plants in the ground, and 5 potted because I ran out of room - yet again, I might add.
LoL
[linked image]

Here's the same setup from the opposite side. (Gotta luv that dead brown lawn !)
On the right in the foreground is the other type of spuds in a planter I made from stacked rings of landcape edging, and you can see 3 of the 4 big pots with tomatoes in 'em. Barely visible at left is a small red pot with a tomato called a "Tiny Tim" in it, which somebody gave me as a wee sprig that I didn't think would survive. a pic of it is below.
[linked image]

Tiny Tim tomato. It's about 10 inches or a foot high, and the tomatoes are about the size of a small grape or less.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

!!! INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH RADIATION !!!