Loki Luv, MD°  (no login)

wink.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dennis
(no login)

Another Anniversary Yesterday......

April 16 2012, 6:44 AM 

Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier 65 years ago!

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Speaking of '65...

April 17 2012, 12:20 AM 

`
Abbie Lincoln died of a hole in the head on 4/15/1865.

If only he'd followed the path God intended for him...

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Should have made it a double feature

April 17 2012, 4:56 AM 

Play it with that other hysterical historical masterpiece, "They Saved Hitler's Brain!"

That way we could gather all the neo-ratzis and Lost Causers together in one place and well, you know, Tsar-bomba 'em!

Anybody seen the new Stooges flick?

Respond to this message   
john
(no login)

Re: Should have made it a double feature

April 17 2012, 9:11 AM 

Not yet. Maybe this weekend.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

I dunno...

April 18 2012, 12:15 AM 

`
Not seeing the Lost Cause angle in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
If they wanted to make the ultimate Lost Cause movie, I say they gotta go with this:

Time travellers blurp back thru history to equip Johnny Reb with AK-47s so the Confederacy wins the Civil War.
LoL
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

Re: I dunno...

April 18 2012, 6:52 AM 

Agree, but I'm figuring the LCers will come in to laugh at Lincoln due to the ridiculous plot. I have a Turtledove book in the unread pile that I picked up just for shits and giggles. Mebbe I'll have to dig it out and make it the next read.

Gonna be hard for any alternative "history" to top the Twilight Zone episode that dealt with the tank crew at Little Bighorn though.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

What's the Turtledove book...?

April 19 2012, 1:12 AM 

`
God help you if it's one of the Great War series...
heh.

As for weirdness, what about this...
British loyalists booted out of America after the Revolution and their Hessian mercenary pals move to South Africa - which Britannia wins from the Dutch in a war between them just before the American Revolution & renames the Crown Colony of Drakia (after Sir Francis Drake) - and set up a new nation whose quasi-Graeco-Romano-Fascisto-Tyrano overlords, reinforced over the course of the late 18th and 19th century by Icelanders fleeing their island after a volcanic devastation, French royalists tossed out after their revolution, 150,000 defeated Confederates, and other fun-wow human odds & ends, end up conquering the entire continent via the use of Jannisary-type slave armies composed of native Africans. It's now 1942, and the fictitious nation, called the Domination of the Draka is about to attack nazi Germany and Soviet Russia simultaneously... ..and did I mention that the super-duper brain trust cooked up by mixing the finest specimins humanity had to offer has advanced their tech-level to the point that they have what amounts to modern-day weapons about equal to the tech level of 1988, when the book was written...?
LoL
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Also got.....

April 19 2012, 5:42 AM 

I also picked up a David Irving tome, "Hitler's War." I'm gonna read that 2-3 pages at a time in the shitter so I can get some positive benefit from it!

Couldn't believe I paid a buck for that weenie lickers drek, but curiosity overcame me!

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Heh... ...Hitler's War...

April 19 2012, 9:47 PM 

`
I read that one ages ago... ...damn - gotta be about 15 years or more. It was before I discovered Irving's "less than wholesome" reputation among historians.
The only things I recall about the book are some passage about Hitler feeling optimistic about the impact of the introduction of the Jagdpanzer IV with the long 75mm gun (75mm L/71?), and Irving's now infamous suggestion that The Monotesticular Madman was "too busy running the war" or some damn thing to have known the Holocaust was happening.

I remember giving my copy to my ex's brother-in-law, coloquially (ie, secretly by me and a wee select group of other people) as "The Ukranian Nazi", for his ethnic background and peculiar "histo-political" proclivity. Interacting with him could be pretty tiresome, but it had weird side-benefits, like the copies of the 1936 Berlin Olympics commemorative books his brother - the other Ukranian nazi (what are the odds? Ukranian nazi brothers! ay yay yay...) - managed to procure somehow which I got a chance to examine.

I never did get it back from him, but I'm sure he got more out of it than me, so it's just as well.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Didn't have any of those.....

April 20 2012, 12:32 PM 

At least not until the sister-in-laws third husband. His clan makes our far right wing look like a bunch of ultra liberals! Oh well.........

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - One for the sunken tub...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

!!! INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH RADIATION !!!