<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Hey, Asmara !!!!!

June 3 2012 at 12:00 AM
Loki Luv, MD°  (no login)

Any idea what sort of ducks these are ? (they got orange feet, too, if that helps. LoL)
I spotted them among the Mallards at a small local nature sanctuary called "Sinking Ponds". People must have fed them in the past, as they weren't shy about coming right up out of the water over to me like I was Meals on Wheels making a delivery. (they're only about a foot from shore in this photo)
One tried chewing on my shoe, another wanted to eat my watch... ...li'l bastids !
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Asmara
(no login)

They are Pekins

June 3 2012, 3:48 AM 

The common white ducks...
Someone probably got them as fuzzy little yellow ducklings for Easter and didn't want to keep them.
Thus "set them free" at the local nature sanctuary which is actually cruel, IMO.
They are not nearly as hardy as any of the wild ducks such as the Mallards.
They are just not the kind used to rustling for their dinner ! Unless it is a hand out.
And they are usually too heavy to fly away.
Catch them, take them home...
Duck for dinner ! Yum !!!
hehe

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

These seemed to have some idea of how to get along...

June 3 2012, 10:15 PM 

`
They were rooting around among the plants & muck & whatnot near the shore line like the Mallards they'd fallen in with... ...though they did stroll right up to these other folks who were were there like wee doggies looking for a treat as well.

Have to go back when nobody else is about to snag one of 'em for czarnina, though.
wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Asmara
(no login)

Yes, in the good times, they can get by...

June 3 2012, 10:27 PM 

Then when winter comes and they cannot fly away to more temperate climes...
They could still get by if enough people show up to feed them...
and the water does not freeze solid.
Then there is the predator aspect... duck, wild or domestic: Yum !

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Even some of the Mallards around here don't migrate...

June 3 2012, 11:11 PM 

`
I still remember the time I saw a couple standing on a sheet of ice partially covering the local creek - on one foot, I guess so when it got too cold they could switch.
LoL

First ducks I ever saw around here during the winter. Since then, I've noticed what appears to be a sort of permanent population of them that doesn't appear to leave for the winter. I was jealous as all hell of their capacity to swim and dive - I guess poking around the creek bottom for food - in the ice cold water.

I suppose the ex-pet ducks wont find the transition so easy. That pond definitely freezes over, too. I used to have pix of it as a wsnow-covered expanse before my PC backup drive crashed. Pity... ...they have perfect winter camo.

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

Duck is some damn fine meat,

June 3 2012, 11:39 PM 

if you cook them right.

Respond to this message   
Asmara
(no login)

Right

June 3 2012, 11:39 PM 

about their winter camo !

I know some wild birds don't migrate, but most can take wing to escape a predator.
The Pekins usually are unable to do that.

It could be that your climate is not as inhospitable as I think it would be...
with lots of snow.

I keep domestic ducks (some Pekins, some others) through our bad winters, but
I provide food and fluid water with shelter from the elements available and the
predators kept at bay, hopefully.

Too bad about your back up drive.
I might have a few of the pix you lost.
I save a lot of pix. LoL
I recall seeing the one of the ducks standing on one leg at the creek in winter.

wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Aww !!! Now I wanna bwing them po' wee bebbehs home befo' they die...!!!

June 5 2012, 1:25 AM 

`
heh.

Yeah... ...like I can afford duck food...Maybe the neighbors would think they were cute & give 'em some crackers or somethin'.

Sadly, perhaps, you're doubtless correct about their eventual fate. Barring a weird winter like this one just past, open areas like that will be buried under snow. Red foxes come to mind as a likely predator that might end up eating 'em.

As for the pics - I made one attempt to recover the corrupted files on the drive. Got a few back, but most are still "in limbo", as the files are supposedly still there, but in some corrupted state, and I don't know how to fix or access them.
What really annoyed me about the whole business is that I bought the damn fool backup drive in hopes of avoiding exactly what happened in case of a PC drive malfunction.

Oh, well...

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Never had a backup hard drive....

June 5 2012, 5:40 AM 

Photos don't even stay in the 'pooter. We use CDs and photobucket for them.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

I suppose I should have made 'hard copy' copies...

June 5 2012, 11:17 PM 

`
It just seemed easier to use an 'updatable' means of storage. Plus, I carry my camera everywhere I drive & most places I walk - and click away with it like a son of a bitch, so I'd likely have a stack of CDs a few feet high by now. I probably have taken as many pix since the crash as before it happened - and that's not even counting all the miscellaneous stuff I save off the internet & Photoshop stuff.

The sorta-kinda good news was that I had a 'back-up back-up' which was a thumb drive I had some photos on to carry around to show people stuff, so at least a number of my older shots were saved.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Don't carry mine consistently.......

June 6 2012, 6:46 AM 

But I use it when I do. Lately I've been culling the herd more and more. Less photos to the CDs and even fewer to Photobucket.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

!!! INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH RADIATION !!!