<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Heavy duty storm front.....

June 29 2012 at 9:23 PM
Dennis  (Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

Sitting downstairs in the game room. Lots of lightning and big winds. Severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings both posted for another half hour or so. Maybe we should have stayed in Richmond for another day.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Batten down the hatches...

June 29 2012, 10:08 PM 

`
Watching reports concerning the storm system on The Weather Channel.
Colorized radar imagery makes it look like a giant flaming scimtar heading straight for the District of Corruption. (there I go... ...pipe dreaming again...)

Hope it passes over you without doing any damage !

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

So far so good....

June 29 2012, 10:26 PM 

No damage, but warnings of severe thunderstorms run until 1 AM. We watched that cell all the way from Indianapolis.

Nice, very quick temperature drop though! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

We sure could use the rain

June 29 2012, 10:40 PM 

but the severe weather, I think I'll take a pass. It's been dryer than hell so far this year.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Dry don' bother Jolly Farm none...

June 29 2012, 11:22 PM 

`
We got Watta Towwa Mark Two !!! Flip this baby on for 20 minutes - half hour in the morning & everything's good to go for the day !
I'd rather have dry than drenched. I still have "blight nightmares" from that cold, soggy Summer 'round 3 years back...
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

Couldn't look at your irrigation system too long.....

June 30 2012, 6:51 AM 

I'm bothered by thoughts that I might have a "black eye" to go along with the black thumb!!!

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Re: Couldn't look at your irrigation system too long.....

July 2 2012, 9:13 PM 

`
Already started harvesting stuff, actually.

I've 'et up all the first planting of radish & beet greens - beets are OK, but I'd rather just eat the leaves. Radishes taste like there's still dirt on 'em no matter how much you scrub 'em, but their leaves are good, too. Radishes are ready to pick the leaves in a month - though I pack 'em together way too close & as a result had only one actual radish among all the roots. Fine by me, as it tasted like spicy dirt.
LoL

I just noticed last week that seemingly all of a sudden there were pea pods on a bunch of my pea... ...err... ...vines, or whatever the hell they're called. I thought the plants would stand up on their own, but it turned out they send out tendrils & grab whatever's handy or just sort of flop over. The chicken wire "fence" is holding up a lot of 'em. So long as they grow & produce something I pretty much could care less what they end up looking like. 2nd planting of peas - perhaps unwisely done in a recatngular container - is about 3 inches high.

Just picked some Romaine lettuce leaves today - a week or so early, but what the hell. 2nd planting of same is about an inch tall

Started picking Swiss Chard last week. Interesting stuff. 2nd planting - clearly an insufficient amount in a single rectangular container - is 4-5 inches high.
On a related note - can you friggin' believe I could not find collard green seeds at any of the goddam stores around here ? What's up with that ?
I had my first helping of good old home-style greens at a "mutli-ethnic community luncheon" since I lived in the city early this Spring, and was itching to try my hand at making 'em myself. Damned if I could find the seeds in the crackerland 'burbs, though... ...fuck them people, I say.
LoL

I even picked a handfull of early-ripened tomatoes today. A variety allegedly called "Sun Gold" - though I gotta say, they look suspiciouly similar to cherry tomoatoes. Another new-to-me variety called "Patio Tomatoes" (don't ask me...they're supposed to grow well in pots) also has a couple or 3 ripening already.
I'm begining to think my "tomato disease alarm" was false. The 2nd Sun Gold plant I had did sort of wither & die, but it must have suffered some unknown trauma - perhaps in transit from the greenhouse as a wee sprout - or some damn thing. It's space has already been taken up by a 5th cucumber hill & a planting of spaghetti squash.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Glad to hear all is well in the garden Mr. Loki sir.....

July 5 2012, 4:52 PM 

I shall continue to avoid staring at any photos of same for any appreciable length of time so as to avoid giving your plot the Medussa treatment! wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

We got some water..........

June 30 2012, 6:53 AM 

Don't know how much but it didn't come in one of those quick, gully-washing rains.

Respond to this message   
Asmara
(no login)

Smoke

July 1 2012, 8:34 PM 

from numerous forest fires here. Lots of smoke.
And heat, low humidity, some wind.
Most everything you do not want if you are fighting a forest fire.

It was a little cooler today; only high 80's instead of high 90's.
Back to 95 tomorrow.
10% humidity.
There was a slight chance of rain today, and I really hoped that it would rain.
But, no.

wink.gif

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

The swamps are all drying up here

July 2 2012, 11:34 PM 

Swamps and shallow ponds that held water fowl swimming on them three weeks ago are now bone dry. First time I've seen that in several years.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

It remains startlingly normal hereabouts...

July 3 2012, 9:40 AM 

`
I think we're below average rainfall for last month, and maybe the Spring/Summer, but the only sign of it that I can see is that a lot of the lawn is dead, and since I can't - I think, anyway - eat it I can't bring myself to be too concerned about it.
heh.

Seems it has something to do with a quirk in the jet stream winds that have kept most of the heat wave high temperatures south of here, and has resulted in sufficient rainfall to keep even weird little bodies of water like the pond those white ducks I took the photo of filled.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Just got the net back.....

July 3 2012, 4:14 PM 

Lost it on Saturday sometime. Things are fairly normal here. It was worse by the boys, but they are in good shape now.

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

We finally got a couple gut buster thunderstorms

July 3 2012, 11:40 PM 

today, but most of the rain never got a chance to soak in. So, we're pretty much in the same shape we were in during the past couple weeks.

Respond to this message   
Loki Luv, MD°
(no login)

Rained here today too....

July 4 2012, 12:48 AM 

`
This could have come at a more opportune time, as I happened to be paddling my way up the Buffalo River past the relics of her glorious "Industrial Heritage" in a kayak at the time.

Whaddaya gonna do ?
It was actually kinda soothing, considering it was 85°-ish.

I don't think any rain actually fell at RT. I heard a bit of thunder a little while back, but I think whatever was causing it passed South of here.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

Re: Rained here........odd, inn'it?!

July 4 2012, 5:53 AM 

You're out on or in the water and you don't want it to do see what? Water!

I feel the same way wading in the river fishing, I don't like seeing it rain. Like I'm not already wet up to my armpits or anything.....

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login D1J1)
Commando Supremo

Re: We finally....

July 4 2012, 5:50 AM 

We had a couple of nice sprinkles here in the last hour, but that is all they were, sprinkles. Sadly the majority of our rains are the intense bursts you get during thunderstorms. Good, day or two long, gentle, soaking rains seem to be nonexistent. Seems like at least a generation since they have been a regular part of the weather.

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

Re: We finally....

July 5 2012, 3:33 PM 

Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it. Late last night before going to bed, I checked the computer live weather map and it showed a huge thunderstorm front, way up in Green Bay, Wisconsin that looked to be heading our way. It did head our way and knocked out all our power at 4am this morning until possibly as late as tomorrow night. Old town Hartland is without power also. This e-mail is being written at the new Hartland Library.

Respond to this message   
Asmara
(no login)

How was your Independence Day, John ?

July 5 2012, 3:48 PM 

Did the whole fam-fam get together for a splendid BBQ ?
Hope so !

wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(no login)

Whadd'a 'bout you FFOTW???

July 5 2012, 4:53 PM 

What is up in your neck of the woods!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

!!! INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH RADIATION !!!