Return to Index  

That's pretty much what I thought

June 10 2010 at 4:11 AM

Vince  (Login MoxiFox)
Von Klumpen

Response to Been there. Done that.

Being of Mennonite extraction myself, I understand that "instinct". It's really just imagination though; Mennonites are no better or worse than any other people. They have their specialties and yeah ... I like certain Mennonite foods too.

The inbreeding was there with the Mennonites as well but I guess they didn't get a long enough time for it to have turned into "Tay-Sach's" disease or syndrome. I don't know of anything like that existing amongst Mennonites.

The "funny" thing about Mennonites is that they were extreme purists when it came to the Bible and Bible interpretation. Thus, they splintered into exclusive groups quite readily and into quite a LOT of groups. The difference could be as small as .... one group took communion ONLY when standing up! But once such a group split away, the others were forbidden to have normal relations with them and vice-versa. So THAT ... could cause its own problem of preventing inter-marriages.

My grandfather was excommunicated circa 1912 from HIS church for buying a car with rubber tires. It wasn't a sin to have steel wheels but having rubber on the wheels ...... WELL! .... that was being PRIDEFUL! A few years ago, one of my cousins (from that area) was visiting in Calgary and I spent some time with him in a tete-a-tete over dinner at a Perkin's restaurant. He told me -no shit- that he had been APPROACHED by elders of this church to ask "forgiveness" for expelling my Grandfather such a long time ago!! Good lord.

I would have thought that Jews pride themselves in having accumulated wisdoms from their long history and from their memorable rabbi interpretations, philosophies etc. I also perceive that Jewish life is highly family oriented and that kids are encouraged to be independent and confident -something that Mennonites discouraged ... to their own detriment. I've always thought that is a POSITIVE of being Jewish.

I perceive that Jews SCHEME a lot amongst themselves ... on ways to exploit and maybe even "cheat" ... gentiles ... and on ways to get their own business plans going and how to help each other. In some ways, that's a good thing -the mutual helping of each other.

You seem to have a fairly dim view of Judaism though? Were you raised a Jew or did you become one?

-Vince

Respond to this message   
Responses