Return to Index  

Revisiting Christian behaviour

July 7 2010 at 10:28 PM

Mondo  (Premier Login Oscar50)

Art asked:

Does anyone have a problem with atheists being christians?
July 6 2010 at 10:12 AM Arthur Dent (no login)
you know, follow christs wisdom, love one another, stay rational, ignore the magic stuff.

Any reason why it couldnt work? Obviously we dont go to heaven, but at least we dont live in hell like the evil magic crusaders.

Seems good to me. We just read more allegories into the book than the fundies do.

What I read above is Art is wondering about whether following Christ's commandments, to love one another, the beatitudes perhaps -- would be a good thing even if you can't accept the "supernatural" magical stuff like his mom was impregnated by god, and he walked on water, and he really was god incarnate.

Gotta admit, I've often though that it seems that how we treat each other is more important than what we believe. As time goes on, this view is reinforced.

Is it more important to believe doctrine, or to accept and follow the message?

As doctrine is man made, the bible refers to them as "doctrines of devils" -- I think the answer from the Bible is clear. The message, of love and forgiveness and doing unto others, is key.

So yeah, if that is what some think it is to be Christian, but can't accept the trappings and doctrines, seems to me they are pretty close to Jesus heart. Much closer than those that honour Jesus with their lips, but betray him with their actions.

House of Free Speech

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement