Return to Index  

Free dictionary defintion of mocking.... lets get this right

July 11 2010 at 9:13 PM
Arthur Dent  (Login ArtieDent)

I feel that right wing superstitious christians have a habit of mocking others who dont agree with their particular take on reality or what the bible says. Any act of trying to ask questions, no matter how sincerely or mildly put is deemed to be an act of mocking their beliefs. I feel that they are misusing the word to avoid discussion itself. "Dont you mock my (weird, delusional and absurd) beliefs!!!. Not all skeptical questions are mocking, especially because someone chooses to label these awkward issues as such.

mock (mk)
v. mocked, mock·ing, mocks
v.tr.
1. To treat with ridicule or contempt; deride.
a. To mimic, as in sport or derision. See Synonyms at ridicule.
b. To imitate; counterfeit.
3. To frustrate the hopes of; disappoint.
v.intr.
To express scorn or ridicule; jeer: They mocked at the idea.
n.
a. The act of mocking.
b. Mockery; derision: said it merely in mock.
2. An object of scorn or derision.
3. An imitation or a counterfeit.
adj.
Simulated; false; sham: a mock battle.
adv.
In an insincere or pretending manner: mock sorrowful.
[Middle English mokken, from Old French mocquer.]
mocker n.
mocking·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. mocking - abusing vocally; expressing contempt or ridicule; "derisive laughter"; "a jeering crowd"; "her mocking smile"; "taunting shouts of `coward' and `sissy'"
derisive, gibelike, jeering, taunting
disrespectful - exhibiting lack of respect; rude and discourteous; "remarks disrespectful of the law"; "disrespectful in the presence of his parents"; "disrespectful toward his teacher"
2. mocking - playfully vexing (especially by ridicule); "his face wore a somewhat quizzical almost impertinent air"- Lawrence Durrell
quizzical, teasing
playful - full of fun and high spirits; "playful children just let loose from school"

OK, fine, maybe doctrine led people may hear scorn in questions, knowing the thin ice they are on, but that does not make a question mocking just because its asked. The reply is just a cheap get out clause for those wishing to hold a very debatable position, but still wish to be respected for holding one.

Why not just deal with a question on its merits instead? If someone doesnt choose to believe some unsupportable thesis, why not just say "This is my belief, untenable as it is, I have no evidence to offer to support it."

I guess it's harder to peddle it as a truth if you admit these things maybe.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime

WINGNUTS - people on the lunatic fringe of politics - are winning in America.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement