Disappointing...even for a Christian

July 24 2010 at 10:53 PM

(Premier Login Oscar50)
Forum Owner

Response to The Dawkins Delusion? Available From Amazon.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...even for a Christian, February 11, 2008
By C. Whitsett (San Diego, CA)
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine (Hardcover)

As a Christian who takes this debate seriously I am almost insulted at the level of argument that is presented by the McGraths. Since reading the God Delusion I had been hoping someone would take on Dawkins. I was extremely disappointed to find that this book falls far short of its claim to do exactly that. I can't say that every one of Dawkins' points are well founded...but at least they are presented clearly and directly. Time after time the McGraths avoid, ignore, side-step, misunderstand or manipulate what seem like fairly straightforward points from Dawkins. Instead of countering Dawkins' arguments, their consistently poor reasoning seems to add weight to his stance. I can't help but ask why they have such a hard time addressing Dawkins' points directly. Is it naivety or inability? Either way, the believer's side of the debate is weakened by such a lackluster book.

House of Free Speech

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

Respond to this message   
Responses