The McGrath Rant

July 24 2010 at 10:54 PM

(Premier Login Oscar50)
Forum Owner

Response to Disappointing...even for a Christian

40 of 59 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars The McGrath Rant, June 22, 2007
By Colhman "Mathematician" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine (Hardcover)

This is probably the most accidentally ironic book I have ever read. The McGraths (or most likely just the male one) rant on and on about Dawkins. They state that Dawkins is a fundamentalist and dogmatic atheist about 200,000,000 times in the book. They also repeatedly point out his lack of scientific backing for his claims. I wonder if any other readers of this book saw the irony as I did, about how the McGraths use basically no scientific evidence themselves to back up their own points. They are extremely dogmatic in their view of Dawkins.

This book is basically just a huge personal attack on Dawkins, repeatedly stating how "inadequate" and "out of depth" Dawkins is, regarding the subject matter. Hm, I would most certainly be inclined to think that Dawkins has established himself a lot more strongly on the intellectual front than Alister McGrath, and from reading both their last books, this has evidently proved to be plenty enough to successfully argue his (Dawkins) religious beliefs, and the reasons behind them.

The McGraths don't really take all that much away from Dawkins' arguments, especially due to the fact that they deal with so little of them. I remember the McGraths' silly little disclaimer at the start, about how they were only going to tackle some of the arguments blah blah blah, but this is a very ridiculous disclaimer. It's quite obvious that the arguments chosen were carefully handpicked to show the worst in Dawkins, bring up his weakest points, but even still the McGraths failed to tackle these properly. Most of their "counter" arguments consisted of being condescending towards Dawkins first, obviously to instill a sense of "Oh, apparently Richie is out of his depth, therefore anything said against him must be correct", and then they go on most of the time to sort of sidestep his main points, and stick in a little theistic view of the same topic, or else just quote someone more capable.

All in all, this is a terrible book, and takes hardly anything away from The God Delusion. In my personal opinion, the McGraths have just written this book to take advantage of all the Christians who have read or heard about The God Delusion, obviously due to the fact that these Christians will need something to restrengthen their faith after The God Delusion, and will be willing to spend money for this purpose. I don't know how any publisher could have thought this book was good enough to print, apart from the possible profit due to the reasons just stated. Then of course I saw this wasn't even necessary, after we see who the publishers were. They probably fall into the category already stated also.

House of Free Speech

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
~Bertrand Russell

Respond to this message   
Responses