You gotta be kidding!July 27 2010 at 6:32 PM
Vince (Login MoxiFox)
Response to Never thought about it but...
The old house wiring made THAT MUCH of a difference? It shouldn't, you know. That would mean you had some SERIOUS wiring problems in that house. Say the old house was giving you 75% of your power to your microwave. It would mean the wires were so thin or resistance was so high, that the OTHER 25% was being developed as HEAT in the walls! This kind of problem can readily turn into a FIRE.
PS ... microwaving discs doesn't melt the plastic. It super-heats the ink which is resident just underneath the label. (Yes, discs contain "ink"). The ink is super-heated and blows out of the thin retainer it resides under. In some old discs, it used to sit right under the factory label. That's why they discouraged writing on the label with anything hard. The laser though, shoots through the thick clear plastic, hits the ink and either reflects highly or lowly ... depending on the "polarity" of the ink in the bits read.
I've actually encountered a particular brand of CD (Memorex) where the ink came up through the label via "pin holes" as small green oozes. Viewed from the other side of the disc -the laser side- these leaks looked like bubbles in the plastic! Eventually, the pinhole spread ... the label flaked off in that spot ... and there's now, only a hole, where you can see right through the plastic disc!