Return to Index  

Noob, that is...

July 30 2010 at 10:08 AM

Kate  (Login kateothelamp)

Response to Interesting to me: many look for "proof" of God - both for & against.

...exactly right.

Discussions to "prove" the existence of God spin like a merry-go-round, and we always end up right back where we started, and sometimes it all sounds like a Monty Python skit...

"God is real -- he speaks through the Bible, it is His Holy Word."
"No it isn't, it's just a book, like the Qu'ran, or the Book of Mormon, or the Rig Veda. Or the Yellow Pages."

"Look, here is a picture of Jesus..."
"No, it isn't, that's some light-skinned blue-eyed 16th-century European, not a carpenter/rabbi from ancient Palestine."

"Here, listen to this song about God, that will convince you..."
"And here's a song for you -- 'Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane...'"

To quote Geddy Lee (because I don't speak French): Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Something to consider...the existence of God isn't supposed to be proven. Even in the Bible, hardly anyone actually saw or spoke with God -- God revealed himself to a chosen few, who then carried his message to the masses. Then God came down to earth as a human and walked among us, and most people didn't recognize him because God isn't supposed to look like one of us. Today, if God wanted to prove his existence, he could appear visibly, physically if he so chose, he could hold a press conference and it could be televised all over the world. Why doesn't he do that, and just end all of these debates? Either he doesn't exist, or he doesn't want to prove himself real, he wants it to be a matter of faith.

John 20:29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Belief in God and what you believe about God is all about your own internal belief, your own faith. And there is no way that you can project that faith on to another person -- that has to be their own personal experience and understanding.

This message has been edited by kateothelamp on Jul 30, 2010 7:39 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement