Return to Index  

"Fashion"

September 14 2010 at 7:22 PM

Vince  (Login MoxiFox)
Von Klumpen

Response to Bingo!

I like that last quote of Oscar Wilde. It's very true. I read something somewhere that goes along the same lines ...

What man becomes, so does his God
And thus is God oft strangely odd.

But on another level, humans create their own "gods" in a most secular way too. People revere their country's Constitution as a kind of "sacred" document, for example. They structure their parliament system with a kind of "god" at the top, known as Speaker of the House or House Speaker. All statements, comments and concerns are addressed to this figurehead instead of to the members in general.

In this setting, the "god" at the top serves a very useful purpose in that, he channels all "power" through himself and flows it back to the group as sanctioned expression. Thus, a group consensus or a majority decision is arrived at.

This is what I was getting at when I said that it takes more faith to NOT believe in anything because without some kind of agreement on what to do amongst a group of people in a community, state or country ... it's going to be a free-for-all where no group action or project is ever undertaken. Nobody could believe that any ONE of the people have an opinion that's worth more than any other opinion and since no two people agree completely on anything ... absolutely nothing can be decided. There is no ULTIMATE AUTHORITY if/when no one believes in the idea of an ultimate right thing(s) to do.

Christians get their group direction by getting together, praying together, hearing each others prayers (directed at their god) and then discussing further direction on the basis of opinion they've just heard expressed through prayers.

In a democratic system, the Speaker of the House serves essentially the same role as the Christian's god ... and the dynamics are pretty much the same. All thoughts are channeled through this imaginary figurehead as if he has the power to grant an answer. In the process though, the GROUP decides its own direction via this solemn alignment process.

-Vince

Respond to this message   
Responses