- fact or fantasy?June 4 2011 at 12:28 PM
JVH say (Login JVH)
Response to fact or fantasy?
In order to discern fact from fiction, true from false, one must know what fact is. In order to know what fact is - to be able to recognize fact for what it is; to establish it - especially when not directly obvious, one must know what the properties are that define fact, and it helps to know what fallacies are too; we discern the one by the other.
Here's the clincher:
When you are asked to cite the properties that define fact, chances are - although it is very likely you think you have a pretty good beat on what 'fact' entails - you'll discover you can't. Go ahead, take it to the test.....................
rejected and denied by many, accepted and embraced by few : incontrovertibility
- it is not what we (think we) know that matters, it is what we can show true that does
as the maxim demands; truth is demonstrably fact and fact is demonstrably true
everything else ... mere BS -
New!! Improved!! Now With CD-Formula!!
CD: short for incontrovertible
- A heads up for you Kate - JB on Jun 4, 2011, 12:58 PM
- thanks JB... - Kate on Jun 4, 2011, 1:36 PM
- JVH is a european academic - JB on Jun 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
- The Horse's Mouth - JVH say on Jun 4, 2011, 3:00 PM
- Jens - JB on Jun 4, 2011, 3:19 PM
- I don't share - JVH say on Jun 4, 2011, 4:01 PM
- Because - JB on Jun 4, 2011, 4:08 PM
- C&S - JVH say on Jun 4, 2011, 4:17 PM
- Hmmm ... interesting - JVH say on Jun 4, 2011, 2:48 PM
- By your standards - Mondo on Jun 4, 2011, 3:18 PM
- A retort for you JB - JVH say on Jun 4, 2011, 2:41 PM