Return to Index  

You know, it's funny

March 25 2012 at 5:31 PM

Vince  (Login MoxiFox)
Von Klumpen

Response to Question for ADBLOCK users

but I'm not bothered AT ALL by popups or ads ... and I've done NOTHING about it for probably a year or more.

I'm now running on a new computer or computers with everything reinstalled and I still don't "get em."

Maybe I HAVE ad block running in my browser still?

I always found that using the host file download ... cured pretty well everything.

But, I'm still using Firefox 4 too. I'm getting so sick and tired of continual updates, I've turned most of them off. They often screw things up more than they help anything.

I figger that MOST of those updates are primarily for corporate users or developers and don't affect the average joe sitting behind his personal desktop.

Just to clarify though ...

I'm running W7 as my primary OS now. I have an I5 machine with 16gb of RAM ... relatively fast.

I hate W7 with a passion though and so ... I run an XP virtual machine inside of W7. I do almost everything in the VM in XP. It runs much faster than XP did on my elderly 1ghz main machine.

Where I had 740 mb of RAM on my old machine, I now have double that amount of memory allotted to my VM!

This lets me run all of my older programs without any hassles or hitches. Most importantly (to me) ... I can still use Netscape 4.8 for my email client. (it was the best one ever made, IMO.)

What I do ... when I "migrate" to a different computer or VM ... is transplant the pertinent folders from one place to the other. So, like ... when I started up this VM ... I just copied and pasted my original Netscape and Mozilla folders over to the new location to the appropriate spots ... and then when I opened up Firefox for the "second" time after its fresh install ... I had my old familiar Firefox sitting in front of me as though it were still running over on the other machine.

I know that doesn't answer your questions Bob but I'm just saying ... PRESERVE your old stuff and keep using it as long as possible. Often it's much better than the new stuff.

-Vince

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement