Return to Index  

Maybe thats a valid way of looking at it, although we know that we will try again next wee

April 9 2012 at 9:27 AM
Arthur Dent  (no login)

Response to Sure, it makes sense

and if we did get beaten, we need to try better next time. We hope for victory and have to deal with defeat, in that sense maybe sport is indeed character building, no defeat is ever for ever unless we make it so.

But mostly sport is entertainment and a chance to learn skills.

The debate, now over was a chance to hear how people explain some difficult questions.

They both got in some good punches, I think the cardinal absorbed a lot of hits from Dawkins, and occassionally came out of his hunch to counterpunch, but he seemed a lot fuzzier, and seemed to be losing interest and focus late on.

Dawkins would treasure a moment where the Catholic Cardinal was reminiscing a time where he was "over in england preparing some young English lads for"..... and the audience went "whoooooooo!!!", the Cardinal paused, flummoxed and Dawkins just looked away smirking.

I enjoyed the conflict of it all, Dawkins was firey in a few spots (Nazis and Russians were atheists without morals) etc.

I was a little sympathetic to the Cardinal who for the most part was trying to be congenial and rather on the back foot, evasive.

20,000 viewers voted and 76% of them agreed with the atheist POV. those numbers would probably have come up no matter what was said on the night.

For the most part, Aussies are pretty indifferent to religion and to atheism. Its just not an imoportant subject. More of interest is who will win the footie on the weekend.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement