Return to Index  

Unlike religion Jackie, scientists dont come in denominations

April 10 2012 at 7:31 PM
Arthur Dent  (Login ArtieDent)

Response to Alchemy was more than turning gold into lead!

Because they rely on provable facts (arent all facts provable though?) their knowledge converges and dovetails. Hence astrophysicists tend to agree with geologists who agree with archaeologists, etc. The disciplines converge. Because of the lack of need for any sort of indisputable proof in superstition though, people can make claims with no need to prove it beyond convincing others that their conclusion is implied by doctrine. For science doctrine is not the proof, just the claim.

So if someone has a hypothesis that there is a metaphysics controlling physics, how do you prove it? You cant. If you could it would be physics instead.

All we've been able to prove is now called physics, not gods, not perpetual motion machines, they lie still along with all other unscientific notions. Newtons tried to pull all sorts of ideas into science, those he could, he did, those he couldnt remain as ideas only.

Gods may exist, but no one can prove them. Same goes for "meta physics", its a notion, but nothing to do with science at this stage.

Some may claim that gods transcend naturalistic proofs, but they deserve the respect of lesser ideas. The Flying spaghetti monster is a patently obvious invention, but it may be true non the less, no one can prove it otherwise, Jesus, the eternal god man, is in the same boat. Jesus the Rabbi, may or may not be in the same boat, If he isnt a god then no one really cares anyway I guess.

I find it interesting that the earliest bibles made no reference to him being resurrected, maybe that was too hard a claim to make until the details were well forgotten later. We know the bible makers added and subtracted stuff regularly to suit their idea of what should have happened.

Proof, you really need it to meaningfully make preposterous claims.

and metaphysics? We have none.

Alchemy? We have proof it was a dead end.

Zombie Jesus who sort of came back from the dead...

Away in a graveyard, a stone overhead
The zombie lord Jesus is raised from the dead
The bones and the corpses are at his command
And rise like their master to swarm o'er the land!
The women are screaming, then running away
Poor Mary and Martha are gnawed where they lay
I fear thee, lord Jesus, your curséd undeath
With worms in your bowels and rot on your breath.
Have mercy, lord Jesus, don't eat me today
Next year I'll be bigger, I promise! I pray
Some shaman or rabbi or priestess or such
Will stake you and save us from your deadly touch.

I know Bible literalists apologists have their explanations, but they are ultimately just band aids over bull sh!t.

Biblical Pitfalls http://www.network54.com/Forum/660399/

Respond to this message   
Responses