Opening verse:

April 24 2012 at 4:41 AM

Kate  (Login kateothelamp)
Sufi

Response to Hi there Kate

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word.
And the Word was with God,
And the Word was God.

The Word refers to Jesus, as clearly shown in the rest of the text. John is not mentioned by name until verse 6, and he is mentioned as a witness to testify about the Word, who is the central figure in the passage.

The first 18 verses of the first chapter of John do constitute the opening verses of the book. There are 50 verses in John 1, and 21 chapters, 879 verses total in John - so yes, the first 18 are the opening verses, and a complete passage.

And they very strongly indicate the deity of Jesus Christ. There's much more, but that one passage is pretty clear - the Word was with God and the Word was God.

When you came in to the conversation, that is exactly what I was talking about - there are many passages in the Bible that indicate the deity of Jesus, and to say there is nothing written in the Bible that indicates that is incorrect.

You came in, changed the subject to the reliability of the Bible, or that it's hearsay (never the point I was discussing), and then told me for the rest of the thread that was not the topic at all, I'm not addressing the point, I'm not addressing the subject at hand, that I cannot figure out your point, cannot determine the "intrinsic value" of your point since cannot figure out what that point *is*, that I know what you're getting at but I just "won't have it", that if I don't know what "intrinsic value" means I should look it up, the "problem" lies in my "redefinition" of the word "discussion", that if a discussion isn't going my way then according to me it isn't a "real discussion"...etc,

I submit to you that I have stayed exactly on the original point; you changed the subject.

Respond to this message   
Responses