Return to Index  

And ...

April 29 2012 at 5:04 PM

Vince  (Login MoxiFox)
Forum Owner

Response to I agree

charity of thought/attitude ...

As A. Paul said ... "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

Whatever word Paul used (in Greek) ... it wasn't what we perceive the word "charity" to be in English today. Today we think of charity as simply giving money or gifts to help poor people who are "worse off" than us ... and that STILL puts us into a superior frame of mind.

That's exactly what Paul pointed out in his phrase above. That kind of action ISN'T actually charity.

Real charity encompasses EMPATHY.

And real charity can be as simple as LISTENING to another person talk and HEARING what they say!

You listen and hear because the other person is IMPORTANT to you. You feel for them; their feelings matter to you.

This is an area that really bothers me a lot in our present-day world. It seems that most people want to TALK and impress others with what they have to say. They have little-to-no time to put their mind into pause and HEAR what the other guy is saying (because it might interfere with what they were/are thinking and want to talk about).

Conversations and "discussions" these days ... seem to be little more than shouting matches or one-up-manship competitions.

When you actually HEAR another person talking, you will inevitably develop FEELING for what the other person is trying to express.

-Vince

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement