Return to Index  

Luke 19:27

May 2 2012 at 5:21 PM

Kate  (Login kateothelamp)
Sufi

Response to Then perhaps

It's not literal, it's a parable. Jesus was not implying or suggesting in any way at all for his disciples to literally kill anyone. That would completely contradict his message:

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place;  for those who live by the sword, die by the sword.  Matthew 26:52

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth... Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy... Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.   Matt 5:5-9.

Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven..."  Matt 18:21-22

But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.   If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?   For even sinners love those who love them.   And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you?  For even sinners do the same. Luke 6:27-32

And those are just a few examples; there are countless more.

Jesus knew that he was going to die, and had told the apostles closest to him repeatedly, but they did not want to hear or accept it. He told them he was going to the Father. Jesus never expected to reign here on earth as a military or political leader - he told them that too, but again they did not want to hear it.

The parable of the talents is about what will happen at the end of time. It's harshly worded, to be sure. But it's not an encoded message to Jesus' followers endorsing a Christian jihad.

Jesus told this parable to explain the Kingdom his followers were expecting was not immediate , but would be in the future:

"While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once." (19:11)

He spoke of a noble man who was going away to a distant country, and would one day return as king - speaking of his death, and eventual return to earth.

This nobleman left money - talents - with his servants, instructing them to "put this money to work until I come back" - Greek Greek pragmateuomai, "do business, trade.". The master entrusted a little to his servants to see who could be entrusted with more when he returns. Here, Jesus was not talking about literally giving his followers cash to invest. He had given them salvation, the message of God's love, the truth about what God wants for us and from us. All believers are entrusted with spiritual gifts, and we are to use them wisely, to invest them for the glory of God. His followers were entrusted to invest that, to share the gospel, to take the risk to bring more people to a saving knowledge of God. This parable is similar to the great commission - Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

The follower who was reprimanded harshly - who was thrown into outer darkness in the related parable in Matthew, is the one who did not invest the treasure he had been given. He hid it, and there was no increase. Luke's version goes even further - when the King returns, those who reject him as king will be struck down. The traditional Christian view is that means those who reject Christ in the second coming - and those who refuse to use the gifts God has given them or refuse to share the gospel message will be condemned to Hell. Since I seriously doubt the existence of a literal, fiery Hell, I see that differently, but that sort of gets on a different subject, so I'll stop here.

Respond to this message   
Responses