John placed him thereMay 3 2012 at 6:23 PM
Kate (Login kateothelamp)
Response to By Reading Jesus INTO the Old Testament Text...
John said the Word was in the beginning with God, the Word was God, and all things were created through the Word - that would all be in the first chapter of Genesis. Then John says the Word became flesh and dwelt among us - the spiritual being took on human form. And he clearly identifies that human being as Jesus.
The Jews had one way of looking at God; the Sumerians had another way. As did the Norse, the Greeks, the Celts, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Native Americans, the Aboriginies...
I know this may be a rather untraditional view, but I believe there IS only one God, PRev, and always has only been one God. Since the beginning of time, humans have tried to describe and to imagine God. Some things they got right, and some things they didn't. In our efforts to understand who God is and what God is like, we tend to personify God in a way that makes sense to us - but also make the mistake of creating God in our image. Patriarchal societies depict God as a father; matriarchal societies worshipped a mother deity. Warlike societies imagined a warlike God of violence; agrarian societies worshipped a God or Goddess of the harvest.
But God is so much bigger than all of that (I believe). The Jews made some of the same mistakes as other cultures - when they've described God as cruel, unfair, bloodthirsty, or advocating them to slaughter their enemies and collect the spoils. But at other times, they got it right and described what God is really like - a vast, infinite spirit being who is omnipresent; our Creator; our provider; God is love and justice and compassion; God desires mercy rather than sacrifice. God wants us above all, to love one another, help one another, carry each other's burdens. A God who fills the universe, but can also live in our hearts.
Goo goo g'joob.
- John did nothing of the sort... - Pope Reverend I, BV on May 3, 2012, 7:51 PM
- whoever wrote the first chapter of John... - Kate on May 4, 2012, 1:06 AM
- You are putting too much emphasis on the English word "worship"... - Pope Reverend I, BV on May 4, 2012, 9:19 AM
- "proskuneo" -- worship or obeisance? - Kate on May 4, 2012, 4:36 PM
- worship or obeisance, the Magi and other items of misunderstanding... - Pope Reverend I, BV on May 5, 2012, 8:36 AM
- okay, so... - Kate on May 6, 2012, 12:25 AM
- Peter...? - Pope Reverend I, BV on May 6, 2012, 12:24 PM