Return to Index  

sorry you see it that way.

May 6 2012 at 1:26 AM

Kate  (Login kateothelamp)

Response to I see your answer

The passage is a parable. Jesus wasn't going to another country to be crowned king and returning -- he was talking about his death. He wasn't leaving money with his followers to invest -- he was leaving salvation, the truth about God, and gifts of the Spirit, and he expected them to be used wisely, to be invested with return. Likewise, he wasn't telling his followers to literally slay anyone.

When was it recorded that Jesus ever committed or encouraged any act of violence at all? The most violent thing ever recorded that he did was to drive the money changers out of the temple (Nucc's favorite Bible story, remember?) It said he made a whip of cords to drive the animals out, that he overturned the tables, that he made quite a scene -- and it doesn't say that he physically hurt one single animal or person. When he was arrested, and Peter cut the ear off of Malchus, the high priest's slave -- Jesus rebuked Peter and healed the man.

So what does the passage mean? You know the traditional interpretation as well as I do. When Jesus comes back, if you don't want him to be your king, then you won't be in the kingdom of Heaven, you'll go to Hell. Outer darkness, weeping, gnashing of teeth, lake of fire.

Looking at all of the scriptures together, however, I'm leaning heavily toward the idea of universal salvation, and no literal Hell, at least not a place of eternal torment. There are some scriptures that certainly sound that way, though -- which explains why so many people believe in that doctrine. I'm still studying this concept of universal reconciliation, and how it all works, and I'm not sure what all I accept or believe, and what might be dogma that is a hold-over from my fundy days. But I know that even when I was in a Baptist or Pentecostal type church, I never had a peace about "the good Buddhist" -- IOW, how could a good, decent person who just happened to not be a Christian, or happened to not understand the idea of salvation through Jesus be condemned to the same eternal punishment in Hell as someone like Hitler? And how could an evil person, who lived a terribly wicked life, theoretically profess faith in Christ on their deathbed, and go to Heaven -- especially when the "good Buddhists" went to Hell? That never made sense to me.

The word translated "kill" is Greek katasphazo, which means to "slaughter, strike down." Jesus was telling this to people near Jericho, who knew the story of King Archelaus who had slaughtered his enemies. There were other parallels, as well, that the listeners would recognize -- Archelaus went to a distant country to be appointed king.

http://www.jesuswalk.com/lessons/19_11-27.htm

Travelling to Be Appointed King (19:12)

"He said: 'A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return.' " (19:12)
Jesus is telling this as a "story," a parable. But his hearers in Jericho would have immediately brought to mind the story of one of Herod the Great's sons, Archelaus (mentioned once in the Bible in Matthew 2:22).[2] The word "noble birth" is Greek eugenes, "pertaining to being of high status, 'well-born, high-born,' "[3] and "to have himself appointed" is the common Greek word lambano, "receive," here having the meaning "take into one's possession, take, acquire." Archelaus went to Rome to receive his appointment as king over the opposition of his subjects who had also appealed to Rome. [4]

Who were Jesus' enemies at the time, those who would reject him as king? The Pharisees, the scribes, the chief priests, and members of the Sanhedrin.

Where are they now? Their political and religious power has been destroyed. They have been struck down. They certainly won't be around to oppose or reject him as king when he returns. Jesus could have been referring to the destruction of the Jerusalem, which he predicted (Mark 13).

And in answer to your question, no. If Jesus literally was telling his followers to bring his enemies before him and slaughter them -- no, that's not the Jesus I worship. He did not tell his followers to kill people.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Religion and PhilosophyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement