Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Does God find pleasure in evil?
    • (Login Azarel)
      Posted Jul 3, 2012 1:11 AM

I find your question interesting and based on Rev 4:11 legitimate.

Since "things" can refer to either a material object or an idea/concept it is thus possible that either everything or exclusively material objects are implied.

Since creation of the material world ends 6 times with the sentence "is good" and since we have plenty of indication that God is pleased with goodness we can safely include material things as things that God is pleased with.

The inclusion of this obvious fact is to lay the foundation for the rest of my comment.
      Up to the seventh day there is no mention of evil because it started on the 7th day when Satan suggested that Eve disobey God. He mounted a rebellion against Gods sovereignty, of which the majority of mankind have joined Satan in, and effectively rejecting God as Ruler. Satan has thus become the ruler of the world. John 14:30; Revelation 12:9.
      So according to Bible narrative it is at that time when evil started, it is noteworthy that this 7th day did not end with "is good" as with the six preceding days.

It has been put forth that since God allowed evil and is after all is almighty can be considered the indirect creator of it. This is a valid point and one that can be supported by scriptural anecdotal evidence.
      Another rational objection is that God created Satan the devil and thus is again credited as being the originator of evil.
      James says following (Ja. 1:14, 15) . . .But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.

It follows from this that the ability to choose bad is inherent to our personality, this was aptly portrayed by the tree of knowledge of good and bad. Otherwise we would simply be robots or be lead by instinct like the animals, the sentence that we are made in God's image could no longer apply.

The important point and I find the crux of your question is: does God find pleasure in evil?
      Scriptural context indicates that this cannot be the implication in Rev 4:11

consider please:

(Hebrews 10:38, 39) . . .But my righteous one will live by reason of faith, and, if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.
      (Jeremiah 7:30, 31)And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart
      (Leviticus 20:3) . . .And as for me, I shall set my face against that man, and I will cut him off from among his people, because he has given some of his offspring to Molech for the purpose of defiling my holy place and to profane my holy name.

Previous scripture clearly indicate God's displeasure with unrighteousness, faithlessness,idolatry,profanity. The fact that these things are not pleasurable to God indicates that "all" cannot mean everything in heaven and earth but rather to the things that he created during the 6 days of creation.
      These are some things that God hates:
      (Proverbs 6:16-19) . . .There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: 17 lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, 18 a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, 19 a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers. . .

Another point to keep in mind is that God's main characteristics are Love, Justice, wisdom and power, the understanding that God love's evil contradicts these traits.
      (1 Corinthians 13:4-6) 4 Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. . .

I do realize that this will not make you a believer in the true God, but I hope I have given you some food for thought about what the Bible teaches on this subject.

All the best.

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)