<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ben Sanderson

July 18 2015 at 5:02 PM
Seadog73  (Login Seadog73)

Remember him? He's playing for Northants v Derbyshire in division 2 today.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Ben Sanderson

July 18 2015, 6:03 PM 

Excellent news. Ben is 26 now, and it's 7 years since he made his debut at CLS.

The one weakness in our current LVCC situation is the gap in ages between the 4 seamers who aren't called Sidebottom and the Rhodes/Coad/Fisher mob.

I think it was confidently expected that Hannon-Dalby, Lee and Sanderson would all be playing and in their prime, ready to bridge that gap.

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

July 18 2015, 6:28 PM 

Good point Dave. There's a bit of a lost generation there, none of whom really panned out. Shahzad included. Ashraf's likely departure also one of those.

(Maybe another reason to sign free agent David Willey, 25, at the end of the season - although I doubt we do).

If our current four who are 30/31 can last another 4-5 years then hopefully the unproven youngsters will get the time they need.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

July 18 2015, 7:48 PM 

Good point Dave.

I wonder if Farbrace is something to do with it.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 19 2015, 12:15 AM 

I think this is the way to go in future.

We can say to good young players: "You know the reason you're not on the first team is because we have an outstanding squad at present. Go off and learn your trade, knowing that we are monitoring your performance and development."

Much better than falling out with them and branding them as failures, and when that vacancy does occur they will have had a few years of first class cricket experience behind them. Far more useful than playing 2nd XI cricket into their mid-twenties. A career for them, a potential pool of mature players for us.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 19 2015, 8:59 AM 

So a bit like a long term loan to another county as we did with Midders and Sidders?!

pscotty
(Login pscotty)

Ben Sanderson - 2016 update

September 15 2016, 4:41 PM 

Ben's having an excellent season for Northants - now has 53 wickets @ 21. And he's earned a 3 year contract.

He's 27 now, but I'm pleased for the lad that perseverance has been rewarded

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: Ben Sanderson - 2016 update

September 15 2016, 5:29 PM 

Of course, we persuaded David Willey to come to us, but he hardly gets mentioned for CC matches! He has had little chance to bat a long innings all season.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Ben Sanderson - 2016 update

September 16 2016, 7:39 AM 

Not helped by injury and odi selections half the summer.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk