<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FLASHBACK | August 11, 1977: Boycott's 100th Hundred

August 11 2015 at 4:26 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

August 11, 1977: A man for the occasion and a magic Yorkshire cricket moment. Geoffrey Boycott scores his 100th century in the Test match at Headingley against the Aussies.(Your moderator was there!)

Video
Scorecard

photo Boycott4_zpsye3ivcln.jpg
The Shot!

photo Boycott 1_zpsz1kv4cdd.jpg
The Celebration
""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Aug 11, 2015 6:17 AM

AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: FLASHBACK | August 11, 1977: Boycott's 100th Hundred

August 11 2015, 5:41 AM 

Happy memories too, which means I can say with certainty that the picture of "the shot" is not the one shown above as the shot was a straight on drive past mid on off Greg Chappell and not a pull shot!

Thanks. Good "catch."

I found several sources that claim to a photo of his "shot," this looks better.

Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Aug 11, 2015 6:24 AM

Alex Roberts
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

August 11 2015, 6:44 AM 

Whoops, I clicked on the wrong photo, from my bank of about 200 or so Boycott pics.

I think the above item is "the one." Perhaps others who claim to to be one of the millions who witnessed the event live can help to verify it.

This picture of "the shot" is the one I've had up on my office wall all these years.

Alex
""

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 11 2015, 8:01 AM 

That's the one!

I was by the boundary boards at third man when he played the shogun front of where the old scoreboard used to be

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 11 2015, 8:28 AM 

CertInly the shot in question.
On drive coming down the hill towards the end of the Grandstand. I was sat on the concrete steps close to the gap between theGrandstand and the Old Pavilion. Those were the days when full meant FULL!
The next ball wasn't bowled for seven or eight minutes. - too much noise and too many people on the pitch.
It was a wonderfully warm day. The wicket had a bit of early life but settled down nicely. The worst part of the day was finding a place to park. I lived in York at that time and set off at eight o'clock for an eleven o'clock start. Just made it!!

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

August 11 2015, 10:46 AM 

I was there too! Left work early and got into the ground with a few minutes to spare.
Unusual for Boycott to hit the ball in the air (was he slightly deceived in the flight by Chappell?) and it could have been a catch with less than perfect placement.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

August 11 2015, 1:46 PM 

But with hotspot would he have been given out down the leg side off Bright?

(Login Tyke1950)

Tyke1950

August 11 2015, 7:24 PM 

Bright certainly thought he was out. (Grumpy devil!) Nobody else in the ground did.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Boycott 77

August 11 2015, 9:19 PM 

I spent the whole day standing on the steps of the old pavilion with my brother. "The shot" came straight towards us. Arrived about 30 mins before the start and no seats left. In those days Yorks members got in to Tests free and could go virtually anywhere in the ground. We were junior members at the time. Saw the Botham 100 and Willis destruction the following day in 1981 from the balcony of the Football Stand.
To make a family hat trick of Ashes moments at Headingley, my Dad was there in 1930 for Bradman's 300 in a day!

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Boycott 77

August 11 2015, 10:24 PM 

You must have been that horrid little boy who laughed at me when I dropped my ice cream!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 11 2017, 1:14 PM 

And again!

We are in danger of being a parody of the four professional Yorkshiremen

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

August 11 2017, 2:44 PM 

I was there with my dad as a 14 year old on the western terrace. Even back then I had a rebel streak in me, as I refused to stand up and applaud as usual felt he was playing for himself not the team, or at least I was led to believe that.......which he did if course at times.

I like Geoffrey now😁

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk