<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

New t20 proposals: the Pros and Cons

February 12 2016 at 11:08 PM
marsker  (Login marskeman)

a working party has presented proposals to the counties to be agreed at a meeting on march 7th. (espn cricinfo) apparrently the counties are retained so the franchise idea has been shelved. from 2017 promotion and relegation in 2 divisions, the top 8 teams reaching the quarter final this season will form division 1 along with a 9th county from a play off. it is not yet decided whether it wil be 2 up and down or 1........ so if we want to be in div 1 we need a top class t20 player to help us out.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Aug 23, 2016 2:44 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rey
(Login Rey2)

Re: new t20 proposals

February 12 2016, 11:44 PM 

I like the sound of this. The next stage is to get some terrestrial coverage.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

February 13 2016, 8:26 AM 

1. Players schedules
If t20 matches to be played in a block will be eight away matches within three to four weeks, some involving 500 miles round trips to play 40 overs
2. Loss of money spinners
Yorks in div 1 and Lancs in div 2?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 13 2016, 9:54 AM 

At first glance I don't like it because of the issues raised by Roundhegian.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/971713.html

I'm a cock-up rather than conspiracy theory kind of guy but I'm not sure the ECB don't want to feed us something that won't work so they can get their wicked way in the end.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 13 2016, 10:33 AM 

There could be an excessive amount of travelling within a short period for short games(down to Taunton on a Monday, back to Headingley on a Tuesday, down to Hampshire the following day).

There could be no local derbies.

There could be no "Finals Day".

There will be no terrestial tv coverage.

A lot better than a franchise system, but considerably worse than what we have at the moment.

Obviously I do not know the full details, but from first impressions, it appears to me that they have jettisoned all the good points about our T20 tournament - the local derbies, Finals Day, the limited amount of travelling, and a comp. spread out through the season, and replaced them will all the bad points - excessive travelling, no local derbies and back to a blocked competition that was tried, failed and rejected by the counties 2 years ago, as it was not working.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Feb 13, 2016 11:05 AM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

February 13 2016, 11:31 AM 

Do we still need or want a 50 over competition?
I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that we should have a 16 game 4 day competition played from April to September with a T20 competition played in a single block somewhere between June & August.
The T20 final could then always be played at Lord's.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 13 2016, 11:51 AM 

I can not see crowds improving (and income) if no local derbies. No Yorkshire v Lancashire matches = no full houses, not to mention away supporters not travelling down to Taunton for just 40 overs of cricket. Home crowds down and away support non-existent.

t20 cricket
(Login Imran520)

ICC T20 World Cup 2016 Schedule

February 13 2016, 12:03 PM 

Watch t20 cricket world cup 2016 from herehttp://www.t20worldcup.pk/

(Login sooty-yorkie)

Re: ICC T20 World Cup 2016 Schedule

February 13 2016, 4:22 PM 

The change to block cricket is driven by the players themselves. It's something that's gone backwards and forwards over the past couple of years. They lick the fact that they can play one form of cricket in one block. They don't like the chopping and changing between formats. Of course this is at odds to the fans that like set days, especially Friday nights and the clubs like it as attendances are up. I think the players like it as it's more like the IPL so are more likely to play with similar top players.
Of course in a couple of years it'll go back to Friday nights.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 13 2016, 6:04 PM 

Another thought.

2 divisions and a blocked tournament with promotion and relegation = 16 matches or 8?

Has to be one of the two, or you get an uneven and unfair competition. It does not matter at the moment with the system we have as there is no promotion or relegation and it`s the same teams in the same groups every year.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Feb 13, 2016 6:07 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

February 13 2016, 6:59 PM 

I think you're quite naturally talking as a cricket fan Stu. You want promotion and relegation and the whole thing to mean something in the general scheme of things.

Another view is it's just a bit of entertainment on a Friday night for people who aren't normally cricket fans. Many of them don't care who Yorkshire played last season, many of them don't even know who they played last week.

I'm exaggerating slightly and I don't profess to know what the answer is. I'm pretty sure it's not this though.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

February 23 2016, 11:26 AM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 23 2016, 11:34 AM 

Yep, looks a done deal. From next season with 14 matches in the CC as well.

From the article

".......The three counties who were represented on the working group — Somerset, Kent and Surrey — all favour 18-county involvement......"

Why only three teams of 18 in the working party??

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

February 23 2016, 12:26 PM 

Probably because a working party consisting of all 18 counties plus others would be a bit unwieldy. Also most sport governing bodies these days try to be independent of the stakeholders so that they don't have a veto over the decisions taken hence only 3 counties (who probably formed a minority) on the working group.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 23 2016, 1:15 PM 

One representative from each county would not be unwieldy. It states that all of the members of the working party agree with the proposals (all 3 of them). It could be 3 counties for the plans and 15 against?? One representative from 10 counties as a minimum
would, if they were all in agreement, had provided a majority decision.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Feb 23, 2016 4:17 PM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

February 23 2016, 1:41 PM 

So 14 championship games will mean only 5 home 4 day games at Headingley.
That's a fantastic return on £30 million poundsworth of investment on the Ground to secure a 5 day Ashes Test (possibly) every 4/5 years.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

February 23 2016, 3:28 PM 

Agree OF. Cutting the number of matches is not going to help us pay off the current £25m debt and the crippling £1m interest charges a year. This figure will increase when we take out another loan for the new stand development. Will we EVER pay off the debt. I suspect not in my lifetime. Hope we do get an Ashes test every 4 or 5 years or we really are in the deep do dah.

The annual income stream could be down considerably if Lancashire are in a different Division to us for T20 matches (quite likely, unless we improve dramatically) and there are only 4 home T20 matches per season.

On that subject, I expect the accounts to be published within the next week or so as the AGM has to be before the end of March and the club has to give 21 days notice.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Feb 23, 2016 3:54 PM

(Login Tyke1950)

February 23 2016, 4:42 PM 

A fourteen game first class season will mean an asymmetric programme of matches unless the number of teams in the Championship is reduced to fourteen.
Either alternative is undesirable.
I wonder what level of thought the three counties represented on this working party gave to that?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

February 23 2016, 4:58 PM 

Believe the plan entails a 8 team top division and 10 team second division.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

February 23 2016, 9:06 PM 

I follow the NFL quite closely (cue the booing), and they have 32 teams each playing 16 games a season. The teams are arranged in regional Divisions of 4, these all play each other home and away each season. Then they make up the other games against teams out of the Division.

If the Division 1 of the CC is 8 teams playing 14 matches, then 10 teams would be in Division 2. Obviously 18 matches would be impossible, and unfair as it would afford no rest compared to Division 1.
I propose splitting Division 2 into North and South groups of 5 teams, these teams play each other home and away, and then also play the teams in the other group home or away (alternating each season as you would either have 2 or 3 home games). This would give a total of 13 games in the season.

This would ensure every team plays each other. All the local teams play home and away. As the teams are likely to stay mostly the same (probably only 1 team promoted) the home/away schedules will be fair in the long run.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk