<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
John Hatch
(Login JohnSantaClaws)

Counties with Test venues

February 24 2016, 2:16 PM 

It so happens that, this year, the first division of the county championship comprises all of the 8 counties with Test venues. (I exclude Glamorgan because that seems to be a political deal.) The only exception is Somerset.

I rather suspect that the ECB would like these 8 (richer) counties with big grounds to become the elite T20 teams. We would have Durham, Yorkshire, and Lancashire in the North. Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire in the Midlands. Middlesex and Surrey in London. And Hampshire in the South.

Unless T20 games can be played at football stadiums with drop-in pitches, I cannot readily see that a city-based franchise system would work without the involvement/co-operation of the county cricket clubs who play at these larger venues.

Conversely, I cannot see how some-one could readily bid for a franchise that displaced one of these 8 teams.

Perhaps a 10-team system would be viable - in which case Glamorgan would presumably become the 9th team.

Perhaps some other teams could combine? Say Gloucestershire and Worcestershire? Kent and Sussex? Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire? Somerset with Devon and Cornwall? Essex to cover East Anglia? I cannot see that all happening in a hurry - to put it mildly. Perhaps all these counties, as at present, or some combined, could have an annual 2nd division competition whose winner joined the top 9 for the following year only.

To my mind, the concept of a city-based franchise system for an elite T20 competition would be horrific if it were to displace all the counties - because it would ruin them financially and thus end the county championship. However, I can't really see how such a franchise would work without the participation of the 8 counties with the bigger grounds.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

City T20 maybe back on .......

March 2 2016, 2:22 PM 

.......as county chiefs get radical.

From Cricinfo

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/976907.html

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: City T20 maybe back on .......

March 2 2016, 5:30 PM 

"It remains likely that the compromise solution - a two-division T20 competition involving all 18 counties with teams financially compensated for a lack of derby games - will be ratified, but it does seem that resistance to more radical change is crumbling."

Every time I read this I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I thought the idea was to try and get people in to watch.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Re: City T20 maybe back on .......

March 2 2016, 5:57 PM 

Give each team a couple of spare dates when they can play the local derbies if they wish.
The marketing people would drum up the interest.
Or arrange the calendar for each team to play a doubleheader on a Saturday or Sunday with the local rivals as one of the opponents.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: new t20 proposals

March 2 2016, 7:17 PM 

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 2 2016, 8:57 PM 

Of the various options mentioned I'm in favour of the status quo! County based, regionialised early stage, knock out and then finals day with as many games as possible being 'Friday night lights'. Whats actually wrong with it?

However back with franchises. Has the idea of a mix of 'city' and 'county' been explored? I can see why the broadcasters would prefer South London poshboys rather than Surrey or Birmingham as opposed to Warwickshire however surely the nailed on northern brands to attract viewing figures are teams called Yorkshire and Lancashire? Could this happen?

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 4 2016, 7:35 PM 

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 7 2016, 5:07 PM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 7 2016, 5:58 PM 

I will wait for the announcement, but if the Daily Mail report is true it is excellent news.

The meeting is today and no news yet!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 7 2016, 6:40 PM 

On another thread, it looks like the DM have got it wrong.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

July 23 2016, 7:24 PM 

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 27 2016, 10:57 AM 

More on this in today's Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/07/26/ecb-plan-english-crickets-most-radical-ever-overhaul-with-t20-co/

Includes:

"The counties will be shareholders in the new tournament to be played in a short four week block over high summer, and income ring fenced so it cannot be spent on the England team or other areas of the ECB’s operation...The counties are keen to retain their own Twenty20 competition played on Friday nights that continue to be popular and make money and could run alongside the new tournament. It means England will be the only country with two Twenty20 competitions in its domestic calendar...Many counties are happy with the current set up and believe playing the tournament in a block at high summer next year will help. Also Surrey, the most powerful and richest club in the country, are leading opposition to a city based tournament. They will only support a competition in which they can compete as Surrey, Yorkshire have said something similar. Ticket sales for this year’s Natwest Blast have been pretty good despite the wet early summer and competition from the Euro 2016 competition...The counties that are struggling are the Test match grounds outside London. Warwickshire have only sold 31percent of tickets, Durham 24, Glamorgan 29, Hampshire 27 and Yorkshire 42 percent. These are the grounds that will be in the market to host a city team in the new tournament."

James
(Login ElTwis)

July 27 2016, 11:29 AM 

Really interesting piece that. It's pretty clear that cricket needs greater exposure and terrestrial channels showing matches is a pretty obvious way forward...but 2 t20 competitions in the year? I don't know, will people go to matches for both? It feels like this is in danger of killing the golden goose unless the county t20 tournament is reduced significantly

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 27 2016, 11:30 AM 

The statistics at the bottom of the Telegraph article are misleading and inaccurate.

The proposal,as described, represents the thin edge of a wedge which threatens to diislodge the domestic game.
It needs to be vigorously opposed and I hope Yorkshire will be in the vanguard of such opposition.

(Login Roundhegian)

July 27 2016, 11:28 PM 

The statistics quoted in the Telegraph (percentage of tickets sold) don't prove anything as Test match grounds have a higher capacity than others. It would be far more useful to be given the actual attendances. What point is the author of the article trying to make with the assertion that the test match counties are struggling?

(Login Jacobus24)

July 28 2016, 10:13 AM 

Martyn Moxon has questioned the strength of the proposals, he mentioned to sky sports that its yet to be established whether England players will be made available for the tournament and whether the plans are in place to secure enough quality overseas players given we have had problems with this in the past.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 28 2016, 10:27 AM 

If I was a county boss I would, in principle, be inclined to say, "OK, Mr Graves and Harrison, have your little circus in the first part of the school holidays (3 weeks max)". There is enough time for everything else in a near six months season (trim the other T20 a little and make the one-day cup 3 groups of 6 prior to the QFs, if needed). I don't mind compromise and the city-based circus idea is not totally without merit.

BUT ... the problem (seen already over the past two years) is that Graves and Harrison will just keep coming back for more until they believe the cricket season is 'profit maximising', with the demise of one, two or all of the counties simply considered a part of their 'creative destruction'.

There is a case for thinking imaginatively about cricket's future, but it cannot be done with these zealots at the helm.

The hypocrisy that Graves/Harrison employ populist language ('bringing cricket to the people'), while at the same time fiercely resisting any exposure on terrestrial TV, is all of a piece with their machinations. Everything they do or say is political, like the messages being pushed through the media that T20 is failing.

All rather sad.

(Login dpressed)

July 28 2016, 12:58 PM 

City teams will limit potential market. Calling a team Leeds will alienate the rest of Yorkshire. Manchester will alienate Liverpool. What would they call Durham???

(Login Jacobus24)

July 28 2016, 6:51 PM 

There's currently a very one sided franchise cricket debate on sky sports 2 right now, they have yet to mention broadcasting it on the bbc or itv, i wonder why.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 28 2016, 7:14 PM 

I thought it was amusing when, as one of his reasons for being in favour, Trescothick said that Gayle's 2 big 100's last year were unavailable to the general public because the games weren't televised.

Are Sky going to allow free access to the franchise T20 games then?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk