<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: new t20 proposals

July 28 2016, 7:25 PM 

(Login Jacobus24)

July 28 2016, 7:52 PM 

I don't want to see us as persuadable, its a very selfish attitude to agree to this just because we're allowed to be called Yorkshire. Colin Graves is a bully, i just hope there is enough backbone in the game to bully him back.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 29 2016, 5:43 PM 

I think Colin Graves will get his way with any t20 changes, and we will end up with exactly what he has proposed, with or without the counties consent. He just strikes me as being that type of person - determined, forceful and he does not let anyone get in his way.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

July 30 2016, 12:05 AM 

is Colin Gravea the yorkshire Donald Trump. Moneybags rides roughshod over everything, determined to get his own way.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 30 2016, 9:33 AM 

Could be, he has already removed one of his fiercest critics - the Surrey Chairman Richard Thompson.

" The fall-out has already started, with Graves taking exception to an interview Surrey chairman Richard Thompson gave to Sportsmail earlier this summer in which he outlined the case against franchises.

The resulting fracas meant that, as revealed by Charles Sale in Sports Agenda last Saturday, Thompson had no option but to resign as chairman of the board's commercial committee. Instead Graves will do the job himself."

(Login Jacobus24)

August 9 2016, 10:47 AM 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/08/08/twenty20-is-the-future-of-english-cricket-and-all-else-must-be-f/

Twenty20 is the future of English cricket and all else must be fitted around it - why I have made a complete U-turn to save our game

STEVE JAMES

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH RUGBY CORRESPONDENT Steve James 8 AUGUST 2016 • 12:38PM

Difficult piece to write this, not least because it involves a huge bouleversement in standpoint.

It will also probably send my dear late father spinning in his grave, but, with deepest apologies to him and all those other well-intentioned cricket traditionalists, here goes anyway in explaining my altered stance on county cricket.

Twenty20 must rule.

There, I’ve said it. And by that I mean that having the most profitable Twenty20 configuration must become the primary consideration when solving the always-impossible schedule conundrum, and then all else must be fitted around it.

So if that means two Twenty20 competitions, as revealed in this parish recently, one comprising fewer city-based teams, and the other with all 18 counties as now, then so be it.

These are dangerous times, with more counties lurching on the precipice of financial extinction than many would care to admit, and the truth is that Twenty20 is the only real route to significant money being made at domestic level, as well as being already proven as the easiest passage to attracting new participants and spectators.

In the past I would always have argued that cricketing concerns, especially the sanctity of first-class cricket, must come first, because a T20 argument is always a fiscal one, but sometimes some detachment can bring more clarity, and maybe the majority of my time now being spent covering rugby has brought that, especially the utter futility of the constant tiny fiddling with the schedule, as the county game so obviously gets pushed more and more to the margins.

Now a reduction in the number of County Championship matches, one fewer home Test a summer and even the abandoning of 50-over cricket altogether (is there much difference in attitude between 50 and 20 overs any more?) seem piffling inconveniences and will probably not produce the catastrophic cricketing consequences so many envisage.

Would, say, just 10 Championship matches in a three-divisional structure be that bad? It is still a lot of cricket, and poor weather does not keep players off the field for as long these days, with better drainage systems and fewer pluviophiles amongst players and umpires.

Sorting Twenty20 could not just save the county game; it could even allow it to stand on its own feet at last.

A new competition with new teams will not spell the end for the counties. The teams will not be franchises because that would mean money going unnecessarily out of the game, but instead the counties will be stakeholders and will benefit enormously from an enhanced television deal.

But for this to happen we need something different. We need something without any restrictions in terms of scheduling and personnel involved. We need something involving all the top overseas players, and more importantly, all the current England players.

I will be summarising on Glamorgan’s quarter-final against Yorkshire on Thursday and, while the absence of the likes of Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow will undoubtedly benefit my former county, it is a travesty that such players are not performing.

One caveat to all of this is that support for contrived teams is unproven in these parts. Parochialism is too often too huge a hurdle.

English rugby once experimented with regional sides, to resounding failure. Welsh rugby’s regional set up has hardly been a roaring success, even if the dire state of club rugby just beforehand is often conveniently forgotten.

But this is worth a go. Make it top notch and see how the public respond.

A small example might be Wasps rugby and their recent move from London to Coventry. They have brought in big names - South Africa’s Willie le Roux the latest last week - and have succeeded on the field, and so crowds have come, many supporting a new team.

Twenty20 will not kill first-class cricket, Test cricket or the 18-county structure, but narrow-mindedness and stuck-in-the-mud traditionalism might.

It is time to change. We are getting left behind.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 9 2016, 11:00 AM 

Interesting to see someone do a 180 and come out in support of 20/20. I think there is one central point that the clubs would have more financial independence if they had more money through the gate.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 9 2016, 11:07 AM 

He would have more credibility with his views on cricket if he was not shown as their rugby correspondent!

(Login KennyShovel)

August 9 2016, 12:20 PM 

At a time when cricket coverage in the national & local press is on the decline can I suggest that the owner & moderators of this site discourage posters from quoting articles in their entirety? A link with summary would better direct traffic towards the article itself & perhaps help show newspapers that there is a readership out here for cricket?

(Login Jacobus24)

August 9 2016, 12:38 PM 

My apologies, i'll just post a direct link in future. I think the sport has bigger problems than a few less online article clicks.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 9 2016, 1:11 PM 

Once again the Telegraph has posted misleading and inaccurate statistics. (see the original article)
I'll refrain from commenting on the piece itself.

Steve James
(Login Fraisse10)

August 9 2016, 3:04 PM 

Whatever you may think of his views, his cricket credentials are impeccable. Capped by England and 17 seasons with Glamorgan.

He also played Rugby for Cambridge University and Lydney.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/15477.html

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Aug 9, 2016 3:05 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 9 2016, 3:24 PM 

Yes, this is the Steve James who used to play for Glamorgan and who now writes mostly on rugby.

I think he makes some good points, particularly that T20 is the only chance that county cricket has to become more self-sufficient; this is one point that those who both oppose the amount of international cricket being played and also any change to county cricket fail to have an adequate response to- where is the money going to come from then? Whether the best way of achieving a profitable T20 tournament is through a smaller city-based tournament alongside the traditional county T20 is a different matter- I don't think adding yet another competition is the best answer. I don't think there is that much wrong with the current format, nothing that some more support from the ECB, maybe a two league format and England players being involved more often wouldn't help anyway.

According to the Cricketer, the counties remain unpersuaded about the city franchise idea anyway:

http://www.thecricketer.com/default.aspx?pageid=1223&catid=71&topicid=42595

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Aug 9, 2016 3:25 PM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

August 9 2016, 3:34 PM 

Who is the target audience for this new competition? Is it people who might actually go along, or is overseas TV viewers, the only group in my view for whom traditional county identities might be of little relevance.

My own guess is that for all the talk of new cricket supporters, particularly young ones, it is the money SKY might pay for a potential big international TV audience that is really what this is all about.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

August 9 2016, 7:27 PM 

I think Sky will have competition from BT, who want to add cricket to their sports coverage when we have the summer break from football, so new money could come into cricket.

T20 crowds at Test grounds,such as 13,000 at Trent Bridge last night!,do seem to be increasing and bringing in people who would never go to a 4-day game. Old gits like me may not like it but, if it helps secure Cricket`s future, perhaps we should bite the bullet and give the new T20 competition a chance.

This message has been edited by Yfactor on Aug 9, 2016 7:28 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 9 2016, 8:08 PM 

Agreed Idle Man, the main group that a competition played in a short midsummer window suits are TV audiences and more specifically TV companies trying to fill their schedules between the two football seasons- the one group it definitely doesn't work for is those who actually attend matches, as the increase in attendances since the change to the Friday night scheduling shows.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 22 2016, 6:54 PM 

The latest article by GB on Cricinfo.

Sums up the pros & cons well.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1048211.html

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

August 22 2016, 7:15 PM 

Wonder if Northants winning the T20 Final might upset the applecart! Congratulations to them anyway - Yorkshire to do the double now.

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

MUST READ | George Dobell

August 22 2016, 8:55 PM 

Gideon Haigh: "Does cricket make money to exist or does it exist to make money?"

As Stu noted, Dobell's article is more or less a tour de force on this topic and essential reading. Objective, fact-filled and somewhat skeptical of Colin Graves' real motivations. I heartily recommend that you send it along to all of your domestic cricket fans and friends

George Dobell

""

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: MUST READ | George Dobell

August 22 2016, 9:36 PM 

Dobell is spot-on.

Outcome - the greedy b*****s will destroy the game as we know it. All Graves and Harrison understand is money. Increase income, hold costs, short term gain, sod tradition, no thought to the future. Sky are driven COMPLETELY by revenue and subscriber numbers. Its a nightmare combination. They have zero interested in the game as a game and its overall well being.

Without going over the top, I genuinely believe the future of the game, in the form we love, is at stake.

American sport seems to avoid the worst of this type of thing. Anyone understand how the role of commissioner works in baseball? Do they have a role to preserve the history of the game as well as considering its future welfare?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk